iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western trees to plant in the east?

Started by Okrafarmer, November 04, 2012, 11:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 15, 2012, 05:22:01 PM
Well it's just a guess, but it is an educated guess. I've cut Cryptomeria for turning stock before. It's very stringy and the color is right (minus the grey, which I'm guessing is just a result of the trees sitting for 4 years). And Cryptomeria is a common ornamental in okra's neighborhood, and the bark could be confused for eastern redcedar. So, like I said, and educated guess. :)

It could very well be that, too. I have seen them in the area, and asked for an id on living examples before.

The grain of this wood is very course, more so than the ERC I am accustomed to milling around here. The gray may very well be from age-- regardless-- I like the effect. Maybe I will have to send Dodgy an end-grain sample.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 15, 2012, 03:57:46 AM
Port-Orford-cedar maybe? Planted as ornamental. Fresh cut wood smells gingery. Be aware , if it is, that you need protection from breathing the dust and oil vapor for long periods, can cause kidney troubles.

I sniffed it again today, and I wouldn't think it smells gingery or spicey at all. The smell is kind of an unremarkable, earthy wood smell with just a hint of cedary or piney-like smell, but not at all aromatic, just kind of incidental.

I guess I could always lick it to see if tastes poisonous.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SwampDonkey

You'd probably still smell it. But also old logs or lumber that has began to break down will smell earthy anyway. Sugar maple will smell like a barn yard manure pile. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Yeah, this wood doesn't smell bad, per se, like the old maple, or even like green box elder, but just a tad musty plus a tad piney or cedary, but hard to smell anything at all. However, the old ERC logs I have milled have been bright pink inside and still smelled like aromatic ERC.

Thank You Sponsors!