iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Bad Wood on Nat Geo

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, October 18, 2013, 09:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

So I was relaxing last night and came across this new show on Nat Geo called "Big Bad Wood" on Nat Geo

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/17/the-real-urban-lumberjacks-big-bad-wood-premieres-tonight/

Did anyone else happen to catch this?  I am not experienced enough to call out mistakes but it was interesting to see a show like this.  I will probably try and catch a full episode next week.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Draco

I watched most of it.  The best part was when the guy topping the tree in the yard with the car parked in front asked "Are you ready?".  The ground crew said "Yep!".  The guy pushed the top off and the ground crew wasn't ready.  Good thing it was an old car.  Next week they should show this episode again, an hour before the next episode starts.

Jeff

I saw it. Looks like the car deal was staged to me, but there was some interesting stuff in the show. Tree service guys I am sure may have some comments about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OLD MAN GRINDER

Quote from: Jeff on October 18, 2013, 03:48:38 PM
I saw it. Looks like the car deal was staged to me, but there was some interesting stuff in the show. Tree service guys I am sure may have some comments about it.

I thought the same thing esp since the piece looked way to big for the ground crew to handle, i did some stumps today for one of the tree services i work for, he watched the show and confirmed what i thought, he thought they should have taken a smaller chunk esp since it was so close to the car, overall i enjoyed the show tho...

Bob.... 8)
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

Leigh Family Farm

The "Car Killer" crew seemed too scripted for me, as well as the guy who showed up drunk and punched his boss out of camera view. The other crews were good and I actually learned some stuff.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

NWP

I didn't see it but after reading the description from the link I'm skeptical yet curious enough to watch the next episode on the 24th.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

chet

Watched it tonight.  :(  What a sad depiction of on honorable profession.

Now I know how loggers felt when they seen Ax Men for the first time.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

brendonv

I saw a snip of it just now.

Cheesey is a good word.  Staged drama, lame.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dieselsteve

im a groundie on a crew in Michigan and can tell you I thought that "car" crew was staged they said the climber had been a climber for 20 years or so, you would think he knew better than to send a piece that big down with a half wrap on the the rope haha

Jason_AliceMae Farms

The whole lion den thing this week was pretty much it for me, just lost my interest in the show.  I will probably have it on in the background getting ready for bed but I don't plan on watching this one regularly.  There are a lot of scenes too where they have on little to no safety gear which is disturbing.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Den Socling

Did you see that show on a National Geographic channel last night? I wouldn't drop trees in people's yards for love or money. I wonder if their insurance agents were watching. If so, there are probably cancellations today!

If you didn't see it, here is one story. The crew had a 200 year old Beech in a back yard. No way to get the crane to it. A big old 3 story house was in the way. The crane operator couldn't see the sawyer. Every movement was controlled by radio contact only.

kevin19343

I never realized how much I hated the Boston accent until I watched that show. Also wayyyy too many commercials. It was like they were trying to break a record.

Farmerjw

I am enjoying the show so far.  Seeing the rigging and stuff is very interesting.  At least they are overly dramatizing the scenes verbally like, "will they drop this through the roof and kill the whole family inside??!!".  Ice Road Truckers and those just get so old so fast. 
Did you see the first one where they dropped a big limb on a car?  Or when the old owner decks and drops Goat with a right to the face?  They work in situations I never would, good for them and so far, watching it.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

grweldon

I didn't see the Nov. 8th episode, but I have seen two previous episodes.  All of the outfits seemed to be very unprofessional to me and slightly unsafe.  JMO...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

There is a tree service commercial that comes on TV during the news. A very nice commercial,but no safety gear on at all and the chainsaw is spitting out sawdust. I'm kinda surprised he does that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

adventure bob

Too much drama for me.  I hate shows that are littered with the personality conflict in an attempt to raise ratings.  Its the Orange County Choppers model of reality tv.  I prefer the "Wayne Carini" model where the star/host doesn't throw fits, fly off the handle, abuse his staff or act like an total chuckle head and exhibits actual technical competence in his field of expertise.
While logging is a dangerous business, when done properly it looks relatively mundane to the average viewer.  That doesn't make for great tv though.

goose63

Quote from: adventure bob on January 01, 2014, 11:42:49 AM
Too much drama for me.  I hate shows that are littered with the personality conflict in an attempt to raise ratings.  Its the Orange County Choppers model of reality tv.  I prefer the "Wayne Carini" model where the star/host doesn't throw fits, fly off the handle, abuse his staff or act like an total chuckle head and exhibits actual technical competence in his field of expertise.
While logging is a dangerous business, when done properly it looks relatively mundane to the average viewer.  That doesn't make for great tv though.
x2 smiley_nananana
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!