iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 075 av

Started by ericduff24, November 01, 2011, 01:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericduff24

hello. i have just aquired a beast of a saw. the stihl 075 av. the only thing that is wrong with it is it needs a new fairbanks morse  dawg and sprawl. there are supposed to be two retainers at the end that holds the spring , does anyone know where to aquire a new one at. i would like the whole setup if possible. also, anyone have any info on an owners manual/repair manual?? i was also wondering if this is what is supposed to be on this saw. it has a metal cup rather that a nylon one. any help would be greatly appreciated. i do love this saw.

islandlogger

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on a fine saw, I've had the pleassure of getting my hands on that model a few times, they are a screamer, wouldn't mind owning one some day...
As for parts check out the sponser on the left: Chainsawr lot's of misc inventory in stock and if you don't see what you need it's always worth a call, he may have a connection! Owners/Repair manuals can often be downloaded online, ebay, craigs list etc are always worthy of looking into as well...

Good luck, have fun and saw safe! I'm sure more welcomes are on the way....

islandlogger

Paul_H

The spring retainer plates are stihl available for around $2 - 3.00, the part# is 1106 195 1700
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

It's interesting that they would have used a Fairbanks -Morse type starter .

Now take it from one who knows if you dissembled that thing it only goes together one way .The dogs have to be aligned the proper way ,the friction disc just so so etc or it just plane will not work .

Only once have I ever seen the detailed drawings on those things which someone was kind enough to post on Magnus' site .I'm tellin you these things could make a preacher cuss .

ericduff24

hello. thank you all for the info. i found a used fairbanks assembly intact for 5 bucks from the local small engine repair guy. i cleaned it up and the saw is now operational. i do wonder how big a bar you could run? also, does  anyone know the best chain to run on it? it has a 1/2 skip on it now, just wondering if i should put a regular chain on it if it would make any difference. it already cuts unlike any saw i have ever held, even my big husky is no match for it. the only saw i have to compete with it is my wright ca-50.

sawguy21

I worked on a few of those tanks in the 70's. ;D The local loggers ran 29 inch bars with .404 chain although the saw will certainly handle more. Too DanG heavy for me to lug around today. Would be a good saw for a mill.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

It's rather unusual they would run 1/2" chain on a direct drive saw although perhaps just a matter of choice .That saw is large enough you could run any length bar that would fit on it .

Paul_H

We ran the 075's and 051's with 404 on a 33" bar when I first started in the bush in the late 70's and we still had a couple around til the mid 80's.They were a good saw.

JohnG28

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 02, 2011, 10:51:30 AM
It's rather unusual they would run 1/2" chain on a direct drive saw although perhaps just a matter of choice .That saw is large enough you could run any length bar that would fit on it .
I think he's referring to semi-skip chain, but I could be wrong.  If that's the case, I'd say run it with full comp chain, no reason not to on a saw with that kind of displacement.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sawguy21

Quote from: Paul_H on November 02, 2011, 11:29:52 AM
We ran the 075's and 051's with 404 on a 33" bar when I first started in the bush in the late 70's and we still had a couple around til the mid 80's.They were a good saw.
You are likely still seeing them in your shop, quite a few cutting cedar around Mabel Lake in the 70's and 80's . ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

We just put a new piston in one for a customer and it looks good hanging here with some 045,031, 032 and a 041.It's good to see the old timers still running,

Al_Smith

Those old 100 plus cc saws will still get-er-done no matter who made them .

As a general rule these big cube saws see very little use these days which is why they last forever .Even if they only get used on occasion  they certainly are nice .These aren't firewood cutters in case anybody gets that bright idea .They are made for big wood with long bars .

Other that the few occasions they get modified for racing conditions they are better served with a 36" or longer bar  for the usage they were designed for  IMO .

Ianab

QuoteThese aren't firewood cutters in case anybody gets that bright idea .They are made for big wood with long bars .

Depends what you are cutting for firewood  :D

Buddy has a 3120 with a 5ft bar that he uses for firewood  :D  And then he still has to cut from both sides on some trees  :D

But otherwise, I agree, they are just arm stretchers, unless you actually need to run a 4ft+ bar.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

:D The novelty of a large saw cutting firewood is rather short lived once you get the idea that a lighter saw will cut just as fast in smaller stuff .

Now all that power is a rush,can't deny that  but they are a tad rough on the old back and shoulders after a few hours of tossing them around.Every time I use one of those beastys I gain a lot of respect for the old growth fallers of the PNW .

Thank You Sponsors!