iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular sawyers

Started by bandmiller2, March 06, 2018, 07:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

The gauge board on my Chase setworks has faded to the point I can hardly read it. Have any of you refinished yours.? I am considering a light sanding white paint and a fine black sharpie pen to go over the grooves and numbers. Suppose if I wasn't so DanGed cheap I'd try to find a new one if their still available. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

Frank, Just made 2. The best way I have found is to rabbit out for an aluminum ruler at the top. you would have to cut the ruler narrower than they are made. The marks under that I cut with a wood chisel and hammer.  I now have one mounted  parallel to the track, high on 2 posts, a fabricated pointer and small chain and pulleys down to the set beam. this rig does not register the wear in the slides. A lot of work to make but nice to have if I get lost.

moodnacreek

Frank, forgot to say that I only used a lead pencil in the new cuts. This is on white maple. If I had a felt tip pen small enough I would have tried it. The second one I made a slide rule out of and put it on the wall. Always wanted to paint one white. It seams these boards dry out on the back and cup so the stick wears off the marks. Lane tech used to have these in stock and I suppose John Bornemann still does.

bandmiller2

Thanks Moodnacreek. I have a aluminum yardstick on it now and have made up a chart to allow for board and kerf. I'am going to try white face with black in the grooves. I have found a wire tie in the uprights groove keeps the boards face from rubbing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!