iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log deck questions

Started by Larry, November 11, 2010, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've been watching this video of a WM log deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y1I9fnETDo&feature=player_embedded

If the deck was full of small logs how does the loading ramp/arms only pick up one small log at a time?

Second question is which is more desirable, a two or three strand deck?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Slingshot

As the logs are pushed toward the mill deck, only one is pushed onto the short loading arms
which lifts and dumps it onto the mill. Watch at the beginning of the video.

Two or three stand deck --- don't know---  ::)

Bibbyman

We languished long and hard about a live deck.  Normally it'd be a no-brainer as the Wood-Mizer deck would be a "plug and play" with our LT40 Super.  But at the time we were plagued with short logs.  As short at 5'.  The Wood-Mizer deck has two strands 60" wide and two loading arms.

In the end, we worked with Baker to build a custom version of their three strand deck.  The strands are about 4' apart.  Thus 5' logs would reliably fit on two of the strands.  It also had four loading arms – thus it would reliably load short logs.  Our custom Baker deck is also "plug and play" with our Wood-Mizer and is controlled by a lever that was once used by the loading arms.

Now we seldom have short logs.  We're out of that business. Occasionally a log will not lay flat enough to get pressure on all three stands and will feed a little sideways.  I wouldn't think a two strand deck would ever have this problem.  (Kind of like a three legged stool will always set stable where a four lagged stool will wobble if not on flat surface).   Same with the advantage with the four loading arms.  The two extra arms make more places for bumps and knots on the log to hit and not feed up on the loading arms or roll down the arms.

There are a number of people on the Forum that have built live decks on the ground level and let the advancing log fall onto the mill loading arms.  That would be the easiest way to go for a home built deck.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

captain_crunch

That first mill in video looks to rival BIG Boys. Looks to be enough overhead to eat income. Me myself and I can cut about 1000 ft a day with the bellsaw but why nobody out here on west coast has enough money to buy em
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Wenrich

I had a 2 strand deck on a circle mill that would bring in 23' logs.  I currently have a 3 strand deck, but most of the logs lay on 2 strands.   If you're doing lots of short log, or some really long logs, 3 strands would be good.  You can always put in sleepers so logs don't fall through.  If your log deck is always full, you have very little problems with the logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

customsawyer

I use the log deck on the logs that are 20' and under but for the logs out to 44' long I have to use the back-hoe. My log deck is the same as the one in the video. If you go with that model make sure that you take the bolt loose on the 6 bearings by the loader and put some super duty red lock-tight  on them as they will work loose and bust the bearing housing. I have even had the ones with lock-tight get loose so now I just put a spot weld on them. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!