iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

@OntarioAl north of MN and west of Lake Superior....that sounds like Thunder Bay or do we need to look further north of further west.  I'd like to get back to Quetico some day, but doesn't look good for this year.  I was doing some searching to see if you can at least get into Quetico.  I read that not only is it closed for the summer, but they may not start the remote area border crossing program ever.  That means no more entering the park from Cache Bay or Ely.  That would be sad.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 07, 2021, 03:27:25 PMThat has happened here, they are concentrating on as many first shots as possible.

I can see how that would make sense, probably better from an epidemiology point of view to have ALL the population with ~85% immunity, vs only 1/2 with 95%. Option one gets you close to "herd immunity" while option 2 doesn't. Plus if you are unfortunate enough to catch the virus after one dose, it probably wont be as severe. 

NZ is working sightly different the virus isn't in the community, so the first shots have gone to the "border" workers like aircrew, air & sea port workers, isolation facility staff etc. They are the "hole" in the quarantine that the virus sneaks in by. Aiming to keep the virus out until the rest of us can get shots. Medical staff, emergency workers, most vulnerable etc. Then work their way down the list until everyone that wants the shots has got them. 

Quarantine free travel with Australia is opening up on the 19th as they have been doing the same strategy. A bit of logistics involved as they have to basically split airports in 2 to keep the "virus free" flights away from the rest of the incoming passengers (possibly infected).  They are still averaging 5 cases a day from incoming passengers, so the 14 day isolation remains for the rest of the world. 

We aren't rushing off to Aussie or anything, but a lot of folks have family over there that they wont have seen since the start, and NZ is the only overseas place that Aussies can currently holiday, so the new flights are selling well. 

We are waiting for flights  to the Cook Islands to resume. They have had zero cases through the whole outbreak, and need to keep it that way as they don't have the facilities to cope with a serious outbreak there. Air NZ has started advertising flights for next month though, so although there has been no official announcement it seems the Govt has tipped them off that one is coming. We have credits for cancelled flights and accommodation from last year, and are planning to head over there next Winter. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

NZ is on my bucket list. Seriously on my bucket list! I did a NZ seminar at a BMW MC rally years ago given by the NZ owners (a couple) of a MC dealership combined with a MC touring business. They book the ride, the lodging and my (age factored) riding window is dwindling as this covid mess lingers on.   
 My sincere hope is to tour both islands on a fly & rent MC tour with my wife as soon as possible.
 I don't have covid, had two shots for over a month now-what's the reason to not come? :D
I cannot even reserve a campsite in Tennessee just south of me for that matter as the covid rule says the reservation window is 3 months for a campground we go to each year with our TN grandkids and book a year in advance to get in it pre-covid.
Contrast that with the thousands of other USA campsites that are reservable  eleven months in advance -IF!!! you can get in...  ::)
I guess we could be in Ireland where your not allowed to travel more than 3 miles from your own home. 
My wife lived 750 miles east of me when I was courting her-would have been a serious damper on things as we have right now! 
I just left a conversation with our local HS ag teacher whos been trying to match me with a student to work for me. He said that many had only very recently returned from virtual school and that they have zero interest in anything like work. This from a man who's not new to his job. I am meeting in the HS tomorrow with a small group of students who may be interested in work. Understand that my mailbox is directly across the road from the HS parking lot and it's been many years since I had a HS student who would work. I have my fingers crossed... :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

OntarioAl

firefighter on the side
I live about 25 miles southwest of Thunder Bay
The border being closed has impacted the locals and it is devastating to the tourist operations
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

Ianab

Quote from: kantuckid on April 07, 2021, 05:35:51 PMI guess we could be in Ireland where your not allowed to travel more than 3 miles from your own home.

Basically done that for 6 weeks. 
If you weren't going to get food, see the Dr, or go to your essential job, then you had to stay walking distance from from home. It sucks, but it was effective. Aussie reached a similar situation, but they added a $1,000 fine if you went more than ~10km without a valid reason, and started writing tickets. Very few got fined / prosecuted for it here as the cops would just tell you to turn around and go home. A few tried to push the point for various reasons and got busted, 

But for the last 11 months we've been at level 1, which is basically no restrictions, with occasional level 2 which has no large gatherings / restrictions on venue capacity etc. 

Tourist based business here have been hurting. Even with local travel the only option that might only make up 50% of the regular business. Most have cut back and stayed in business, but with the Aussie border open they are expecting to get busier again, meaning re-hiring new staff etc. A whole new bunch of problems. 

We are hopeful that by the end of the year things will be more normal (most of the US and NZ will be vaccinated etc). Until then it's just too complex / risky to open the borders. Even now people have to get a test in the 72 hours before they depart, and yet ~5 per day turn up infected. Fake tests? Got infected the day after the test? Got infected at a transit airport? Who knows, but letting them in without the isolation would have us back at Level 4 in no time. 

If you can come and visit the South Island on a bike, you want to choose Summer. :D If it's a guided tour, they will have all the best spots sorted, but if you are booking your own tour, hit me up for some must see places. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

Better "in control" than give it to the morticians. I am a self-tourer but do intend to use at least some of the lodgings they have in their tours. 

Texas Ranger

after a little better than three weeks without a death or large increase in cases, Polk County Texas has had an uptick in cases and 4 more deaths.  Not sure what it means, but this happened after the gov said not mandatory any longer to wear masks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

at least things were slow enough that some evaluation of the contacts may lead to the cause.  may not be related to the lifting of the mask mandate.  Ours is lifted and about the same number of people in WM earing masks.  
I think masks help mitigate.  I still wear them in a business.  not at a meal.  at the eagle scout ceremony I spoke at, we all removed our masks to speak at the podium.  it is ridiculous for the politicians to wear them at a podium, outside, 20 feet from others.
the disease usually kills about 1 month after contact, so hopefully not from dropping the mask mandate.  still recommended and required in some businesses, like our hospital.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Could also be delayed reporting, but I agree it was not the lift order on masks.  About a month after the lock down from the storm, hmm. could be.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

red

Yesterday I got a J&J shot so far no side effects all is good 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Don P

My work partner and I got it yesterday as well. They ran 1,000 of us through the rec center in Galax, the Guard was handling flow, volunteers and nurses at 4 stations moving us through, fast and efficient, very well done. We came back and got the belly pans jacked and bolted back up on the dozer, still couldn't get the tranny plug out so siphoned its tank. About 7:30pm was feeling done in so went ahead and turned in. I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to check to make sure I hadn't swallowed the pillow, nope just serious cottonmouth and a headache. By this morning felt a little puny, the headache was still there, a little foggy and running about 100. I figured if I ran the AC on the way down to Winston they would let me in for the root canal. No problems, he had a boat payment due so in I went. I think I figured out the cure for all this side effect business. Strap me in a chair and stick a drill in my head and there is enough adrenaline pumping that no side effect has a chance :D.

kantuckid

This Monday I did a 7 hours straight, 8a.m. to 3 p.m.!!!in a dental chair, excepting three pisser breaks. maybe should get a gold star? ;D

thecfarm

I had the one shot about 3-4 days ago. Arm felt kinda sore for only about an hour. Did not bother at all, so far.  
Here in Maine all business must wear a face covering. Some customers still come in the store and leave in a ruff when I ask them to put mask on.  ::)   Not saying the masks work, just saying all businesses, all have the same mandate. A good rule of thumb, if going into a place to spend money, wear a mask.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

Americans (and a whole bunch of others) who do not want to be told what to do... even when it can keep them alive... ::)  
I'm a definite hard leaner toward the many freedoms we have, but I also have my sensibility factor mostly intact.  

Beyond masking and retail & various facility entries: That whole senario surrounding future travel and vaccinations and passports, etc. is gonna get more way more interesting.
Just read a news article today about who among employers, etc. is requiring vaccinations as of now.

I find it disheartening to read that many drug stores and clinics in the USA are having lots of cancellations and open vaccination appointments while other, mostly poorer, countries have no vaccine or not enough bargaining power to grad what's available. 

JJ

My Wife is a teacher, and we scheduled a vac back end of March, I keep looking but earliest vac appointment is April 28, but my 17 year old daughter signed up, and got a vaccination appointment the next day (today).   She said she increased the radius to 25m, but I try radius of 100 miles and next appointment is end of May !!?

Don't understand the system.

JJ

RichTired

JJ,
     I signed up with my state (Alabama) health department which just linked me to my county health department's web site. I signed up to schedule a vaccination appointment on February 8th. I also called my county health department and both stated I was on the over 65 list and would be contacted via email for the first available opening. 

After a few weeks, and YH's comment on Walmart, I went to Walmart's web site and got my first shot scheduled within a week or so. With my booster shot scheduled for Wednesday, April 21.

Oh, by the way, my county health department contacted me via email on Friday April 9th to contact a local vaccination site for an appointment. 

It seems no organization of this anywhere...
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

kantuckid

One of our son's lives in Birmingham with his family and is 44 in May. He "qualified" for his vaccination in AL cause he's an engineer-go figure on that one huh? :D
He took it as a favor he didn't see coming and had his shots some time back. I think he actually got his shot before his twin brother in Knoxville, TN was turned down by the VA who said he made too much money to get the shot from them- then they changed and he got the shot from them at home instead of driving out of town. Yes, it's often a cluster affair since the government is in charge-or not... 

JJ

An update,
After taking my daughter for her first shot, I did get an appointment for my wife (I think as a 2nd) and I for tomorrow in the same place.

I think you have to look at right time, before all slots fill up, as there was only 2 people in each 5 minute slot.   I look again this evening, and all slots except 1 are filled, and all other places they are giving appointments are out into May.

Patience and Persistence

JJ

firefighter ontheside

While I hate its taking a long time for some to get it, I will take it as a sign that lots are getting it and hopefully enough to reach the needed immunity to end the pandemic.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I checked the calendar to see what I have going on at work tomorrow and see that I get my 3rd and final vaccine shot for anthrax.  At least when that pandemic starts I'll be way ahead of the curve.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brucer

Barb had the Pfizer-BioNTech shot yesterday. Woke up this morning with a very slightly sore arm. Did all her usual Sunday chores with no side-effects (so far) getting in the way.

I had my shot today. Arm is a tiny bit sensitive right now but not getting any worse.

We made a bunch of quick-to serve meals to get us through the week if we both end up too fatigued or head-achy to do any cooking.

Things are pretty organized here in BC. Most important, it's consistent. We were told (on the news, via the web, and on a toll-free phone line) who could start signing up, based on their birth year. Barb called on the day her birth year came up, spent 9 minutes on hold, and booked any appointment for the 10th. Then they told her she could book me as well, even though I'm younger.

We were told to show up no earlier than 10 minutes before our appointed time. The vaccination site was an empty department store in a nearby mall. Security guard asked when our appointment was schedule for, looked inside to see if there was a backlog, and waved us in if everything was OK.

Inside a person asked us some screening questions, then we sent to line up at one of the processing stations. There we were asked to give our name, run our health care card through a scanner, and got a card with the date and vaccine type on it.

Next step was to pick up a clipboard with a questionnaire and sit down in a holding area (well spaced). The questionnaire was basically to do with possible allergic reactions.

Once that was done, we were directed to one of the available nursing stations where the nurse confirmed all our personal information with the provincial database and discussed any allergies and the possibility of a reaction. We here given a handout with a list of possible side-effects, plus a list of Covid-19 symptoms that would NOT be caused by the vaccine (just in case we got infected before the vaccine took full effect.

Finally ... "Which arm would you like it in?". 10 seconds max. I didn't feel a thing. Barb said she felt the tiniest pinching sensation.

Then we had to go and sit around (well spaced) in another holding area for 15 minutes in the off chance there would be a severe reaction.

5 minutes in preprocessing, 10 minutes with the nurse, 10 seconds for the shot, 15 minutes waiting for a non-reaction. 1/2 hour total in and out.

And I found out what that coloured plastic lever-thingy on the syringe was for ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

Not that it matters, mine was done behind a solid screen at a grocery store pharmacy. With all the questions too. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

If you're having trouble getting in to get the shot, call or go on-line and check for cancellations!

That's what I did and got an appointment for the next day, then the second shot three weeks later!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

Quote from: Chuck White on April 12, 2021, 09:26:04 AM
If you're having trouble getting in to get the shot, call or go on-line and check for cancellations!

That's what I did and got an appointment for the next day, then the second shot three weeks later!
Whatever works! I know we feel better having our shots.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

clusterbuster75

I would say don't take the vaccine, but it is not a vaccine. It is not.  Calling it a vaccine makes it sound like something you've had before. It is not. It is an experiment, and I will not participate
stihl 046, Cat 416b , JD 5520 N

Thank You Sponsors!