iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used my scariest woodshop tool today.

Started by DR_Buck, February 22, 2021, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

And dirt bikes with 3-1/2" of rear suspension travel.........

TroyC

The RAS never scared me as much as the table saw. I don't remember any of our tool having brakes back then. Always keep a firm hand on the head and cut slowly.

Witnessed several accidents during the years I taught woodshop. One kid let go of the board while ripping on the table saw. It was a nice 5 horse saw, and the board went about 20 feet before hitting another kid. Fortunately, neither kid was hurt (much) but it sure scared us all!  The other big scare was a lamp that came off the woodlathe. Destroyed the plexiglass guard, but once again, no injuries. I won't mention the kid that stapled his hand to the wooden workbench, but I know that hurt!  ::)

sawguy21

I mentioned the failed brake came off dad's RAS. He was the woodshop teacher and really should have known better but never got hurt in 28 years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HemlockKing

Quote from: TroyC on April 10, 2021, 08:48:40 PM
The RAS never scared me as much as the table saw. I don't remember any of our tool having brakes back then. Always keep a firm hand on the head and cut slowly.

Witnessed several accidents during the years I taught woodshop. One kid let go of the board while ripping on the table saw. It was a nice 5 horse saw, and the board went about 20 feet before hitting another kid. Fortunately, neither kid was hurt (much) but it sure scared us all!  The other big scare was a lamp that came off the woodlathe. Destroyed the plexiglass guard, but once again, no injuries. I won't mention the kid that stapled his hand to the wooden workbench, but I know that hurt!  ::)
I HATE using table saws about as much as I hate using cut off discs on grinders, I have avoided injury thus far by standing clear, push stick etc, there is no safety mechanisms on my old table saw either as it's a old rockwell and beaver from the 60s, despite it not having any safety to it it works great and I won't be replacing it until it dies, I paid 20$ for few years ago. They have news table saws that detect flesh and hault immediately now, I seen a demonstration with a hotdog one time, it barely knicked the thing.
A1

thecfarm

Jumping a bike!! I was never allowed to touch anything with a motor on it.  ;D
I broke a bike in half doing that stuff. Need a higher block of wood there!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

Quote from: HemlockKing on April 11, 2021, 05:44:08 AM

I HATE using table saws about as much as I hate using cut off discs on grinders, I have avoided injury thus far by standing clear, push stick etc, there is no safety mechanisms on my old table saw either as it's a old rockwell and beaver from the 60s, despite it not having any safety to it it works great and I won't be replacing it until it dies, I paid 20$ for few years ago. They have news table saws that detect flesh and hault immediately now, I seen a demonstration with a hotdog one time, it barely knicked the thing.
Only thing worse is a large side grinder with a twisted wire wheel. Mine never got "me", but it sure made mince meat out of da brother-in-laws t-shirt and belly. :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

farmfromkansas

There was a kid killed in a kickback in a Salina KS school about 68 or 69,  and later I met the guy who had been running the table saw.  He said he had gone to work right out of high school, and had worked and been fired from all the good companies there.  All he had left available to him was construction work.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

DR_Buck

Quote from: farmfromkansas on April 18, 2021, 10:44:17 PM
There was a kid killed in a kickback in a Salina KS school about 68 or 69,  and later I met the guy who had been running the table saw.  He said he had gone to work right out of high school, and had worked and been fired from all the good companies there.  All he had left available to him was construction work.
I'm guess if he'd been fired after all that time he still hadn't learned anything about safety.     Those are the kind of people that you need to stay away from.     Some of them don't have a lot of working brain cells and usually are missing a few fingers.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

metalspinner

Or maybe he needed to get some serious therapy knowing he was involved in the death of a peer?

Or worse, he didn't learn any lessons, didn't care about safety, and continued to be a threat to others?

Just this weekend my oldest son was in town and wanted to build a project.  So I used it as an opportunity to train him on the different equipment - again. He's used it all before, but I like to start over each time with the same instruction as if he is a beginner. 
I don't know if I will ever NOT treat him that way? But until he tells me otherwise, that's what he will get from me.  ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!