iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts?? Sawmill selling and upgrading

Started by RangeSawing, April 11, 2021, 01:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangeSawing

Morning all,
So I have been pondering selling my Norwood Hd36 and buying a hydraulic LT35. Here is why,
The Norwood isn't my favorite sawmill, but it fit my budget at the time. I have had it a year and have made some nice lumber. I want to cut longer now. And I do not want to buy the Norwood extensions. I would rather just have a 21' lt35. I don't like loading the mill with my skidsteer so it's a big plus to have hydraulic loader. So now my questions,
What do you think?
Any cons to LT35?
I know woodmizer is 5months out or more, if I order can I sell my Norwood a month before so I can continue sawing in the meantime?
What should I list my Norwood for? It is standard length, 23hp Briggs, like new, has maybe 25 hours, and has power feed (not installed yet). And has the trailer package installed.
I think it's the right step up for me. I'm a hobby sawyer and do some sawing business/lumber sales.
Thanks in advance!
I don't know much, but what I do know, I'm not very good at!

Southside

The only drawback the 35 has is that it will make you buy an edger, a kiln, a moulder, a Super 70, a Lull, add onto your buildings, etc.  Very expensive mill to own....  Be afraid, be very afraid.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I am sure there are lots of cons to the LT35  - I just can't think of them right now. I have 835 hours and close to 140K bf on mine and I like it better every day. A bigger faster machine with more features would be nice but for my budget and support equipment it has been a very good deal and a great machine. 

I don't know about you sale price for your Norwood but with the long delays right now I suspect you can get about what you paid for it - if not more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

I'd say now is about as good of a time to be in your position as ever. Like WV said, you can probably get at least what you paid for your mill on the used market. Order up and list yours just before your delivery date, it probably will sell fast.
Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

I think if it was me I would upgrade my hd-36 to full hydraulic and buy a bed extension instead of waiting 45-60 weeks for a mill that is at best equal to the one I already own. HD 36 can handle a board return, Lt35 can't. 36 has a chain Turner. 35 doesn't. 36 has wireless remote. 35 doesn't. 36 can be upgraded to computer setworks. Not sure about the 35. Let 35 is a fine mill, but in my opinion there is much more to be offered by the hd36. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

farmfromkansas

Have been watching Big Iron auctions, and last I looked a TK 1220 was at about 8600.  They have a LT 40 coming up. Probably not the first place you would look to buy a sawmill, but they sell on there.  Lots of skidsteers, and all kinds of other equipment that wind up on farms.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

longtime lurker

Quote from: Southside on April 11, 2021, 04:02:38 PM
The only drawback the 35 has is that it will make you buy an edger, a kiln, a moulder, a Super 70, a Lull, add onto your buildings, etc.  Very expensive mill to own....  Be afraid, be very afraid.   :D
Now that is about the best line ever, just I'm not sure it applies only to LT35's
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

I can't comment on the mills but as a general plan.... mmm maybe.

A lot depends on how you use the mill. If your aim is to build the sawing business/lumber sales side then just keep on hacking away with what you have right up until the day after the next saw arrives, then sell it. From a business perspective being a sawmiller without a sawmill is reallllllll bad juju and to be avoided at all costs.

If it's mostly a hobby then no matter... put a stupid high price on your current mill tomorrow and hope for a sucker who can't wait the months for delivery on any new mill right now.  You can drop your price as time passes if necessary.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that the trees will still be there next year, but maybe your customers won't.

Just my $0.02 worth
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

TroyC

If you have used the Norwood only 25 hours in the past year, you are definitely a hobby sawyer (like me). I've used my EZ40 about 50 hours in the 9 months I've owned it and all I've done is saw stuff for myself other than some purlins I cut for a neighbor. That small job taught me I don't want to do this for a job! Hydraulic loading arms, clamps, rollers, toe boards  would be nice instead of loading with a tractor, but considering the cost factor and hobby use, I personally can't justify it. Getting full benefit of your hydraulics will probably require hired help, roller tables, and some of the other items mentioned.

I can see your desire to upgrade to hydraulics, but one factor that you probably considered when you bought the HD36 was the upgrade capability.

If you simply want the Woodmizer instead of the Norwood, go for it because it will satisfy your desire. As pointed out above, now is a great time to sell a mill, not so much to buy one.

I've been in situations where I wanted something different, the same thing, just different.  Sometimes you just gotta scratch an itch.  :)

As far as the mills, both are nice!

WV Sawmiller

Troy,

Sorry but I have to disagree with your suggestion that efficient use of hydraulics would require hired help and the extra equipment. Things like hydraulic levelers/rollers, clamps, turners and loaders actually make it much easier to saw alone. When I saw mobile for a customer my business model requires him to provide the helper. Use of hydraulics would certainly help justify the use of the extra help and equipment but it does not require them. JMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Of course in the end its going to be your decision but I have a Norwood HD36 I would call myself a little more that a hobby but less then a full fledged business. I have added all the features to my mill except a setworks and I guess a debarker. It is a good mill that I can run when I want and not have to worry about having to make a payment. The Woodmizer mill is a good mill too as is the Timberking and a whole lot of others. I guess in reality a mill is two straight rails and a motor driving two wheels and a blade. The brand is really about your own personal choice, hydraulics do make sawing easier that is for sure but they all drive up the cost of the mill. I think maybe do a pro and con of each of your options and be honest with yourself and you should be able to reach a choice you can live with after weighing all of the features vs cost. As long as you are satisfied with the final outcome that is the important thing, everyone situation is so different.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

RangeSawing

I appreciate all the input, my big decision factor to get away from Norwood are of my own opinion... The Norwood is limited in length that I can pull (legally) with the extension 17'. I need to cut 20' beams for my timber frame trusses. The cost to upgrade is more than what I would have in a new LT35 (they are on sale with free debarked at the moment) I don't want to have two separate motors as the Norwood has. I figured it's a good time to part ways, upgrade, and enjoy...... but wanted to get opinions first.

welderskelter

Range Sawing. I am also from Minnesota. I am an over the road truck driver too and I am wondering about the length  you can pull. Arent we just limited to 65 ft, with one bend in the middle. Seems that would give you a lot of leeway there. Wouldnt it? Curious.

ladylake

Quote from: RangeSawing on April 12, 2021, 04:37:29 PM
I appreciate all the input, my big decision factor to get away from Norwood are of my own opinion... The Norwood is limited in length that I can pull (legally) with the extension 17'. I need to cut 20' beams for my timber frame trusses. The cost to upgrade is more than what I would have in a new LT35 (they are on sale with free debarked at the moment) I don't want to have two separate motors as the Norwood has. I figured it's a good time to part ways, upgrade, and enjoy...... but wanted to get opinions first.
Seems like you have your mind made up. why ask.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RangeSawing

Welder: I'm not sure what the actual length we can haul is. My statement is direct from the Norwood manual, I believe it has to do with tongue weight perhaps? 

I asked for opinions to help make up my mind fully, generally I like to be informed before making decisions. For instance if I was told that the LT35 wasn't that great I would stay with my manual mill and not expand my business.

TroyC

WV Sawmiller, I agree completely about the hydraulics making everything much easier. I probably did not put the right meaning into what I was trying to say. Guess I have killed too many brain cells. ::)

I  agree with RangeSawing about not wanting to have the two motors running to use hydraulics on the HD36. Seems like a good choice to trade and go with the Woodmizer.

YellowHammer

I've never used an LT35, but it's a an excellent mill. I had an LT40, and built a business with it.  All things being equal, horsepower is king, and I would get the mill with the biggest engine offered, and a little bigger and badder than I could comfortably afford.  My advice is buy one step more than you think you need, so you can grow into the mill, as opposed to outgrowing it. Also, mazing how even a little extra horsepower makes a big difference.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Quote from: RangeSawing on April 12, 2021, 07:00:18 PMI asked for opinions to help make up my mind fully
Asking questions it the key to making a sound decision, no matter which manufacturer you ultimately decide on.  It's part of a journey to a destination. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!