iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tires cracking around the bead

Started by Sedgehammer, July 31, 2021, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

They are on our 06 15 passenger van. 2 cracks running around the room edges. Tread life is 50 or more. Michelin L245 r75 16

Run'em or replc'em 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Southside

Nothing more exciting than blowing a tire at highway speed. The joy of trying to steer, the sudden weight shift, the jolt out of your lane, and the wife screaming.

Guess it depends on how much fun you want. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

I wouldn't drive any further than the tire shop on those. 

How long have they been on?
HM126

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside on July 31, 2021, 05:11:40 PM
Nothing more exciting than blowing a tire at highway speed. The joy of trying to steer, the sudden weight shift, the jolt out of your lane, and the wife screaming.

Guess it depends on how much fun you want.
I blew a right front on my quad dump truck once doing 75. That was fun. Never panicked though, no time. Went up a pretty steep bank sideways. Looked later and the right side was off the ground for 40'. I tried to keep it from going over, but there was a big over head sign i just barely missed on the left. Mirror clipped it, busted my door and took a junk of metal out of the box. Over head sign didn't even say hi

@btulloh clueless. We bought it 5 years ago, they were on. I say that though, they're might be paperworks. I'll check when me wife gets home with it. She took it to the car wash. I can find it on the tire also i guess

charles mann

Which is cheaper, 4 new tires or good used tires vs. possibly higher insurance, insurance deductible, or worse, funeral expense? 
If i bought new, 1 tire for my soon to be log getting truck, is $1200 x 6 tires. I had several tires with cracks in the sidewalls from them sitting for who knows how long, flat, waiting to go on auction. 
I was able to find a more readily available and still in use tires at auction and paid $2400 for 7 tires. 
$2400 is a small price to pay for shoes under a 36,000# truck. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

btulloh

Well then they're more than five years old, maybe a lot more, so it doesn't need to be researched any further. They died of old age rather than mileage. Bottom line is they need to be replaced or risk the consequences. Do you use the 15 passenger van often?
HM126

Sedgehammer

4 - 6 times a year. Shame didn't wear them out....  :D

btulloh

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Owning multiple vehicles presents some challenges. Is this parked outside or under shelter of some sort? 
HM126

Sedgehammer

Car port. We will take friends with us to some vacation day trips or even further. So nice to all go in one vehicle

Gere Flewelling

I would suggest replacing them with a different brand.  In my experience Michelin tires are the best and well worth the money if you put a lot of miles on your rig.  Several local tire shops have advised me to not buy them if I won't wear them out in two year or less.  They will dry rot and crack for sure.  Had this happen more than once to my wife's and my vehicle over the years before the light bulb finally clicked on.  We just don't drive enough.  I now prefer Firestone and Goodyear for the three to four years we tend to run tires now.  
Interestingly I have an old military surplus trailer I have had for many years that was made in the 70's that still has the original 11:00-20 military style tread which is possibly the most useless tread design ever developed for civilian use anyway.  It has always set outside in all types of weather.  You can look at them all day long and never see a crack in them.  I don't know what they made them out of,  but they clearly don't use that material anymore.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

gspren

For vehicles that go highway speeds I consider 6 yrs max while I have no problem with 20+ yrs on tractor tires. It's all about how big of a problem is a tire failure.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hacknchop

I run them till i can see the air in them or just the wires sometimes
Often wrong never indoubt

HemlockKing

Quote from: hacknchop on August 01, 2021, 02:39:43 PM
I run them till i can see the air in them or just the wires sometimes
Baloney skins lol 
A1

Iwawoodwork

I save them and run them out on my utility/flat bed trailers. Usually don't have more than 5-7k lb loads on them

armechanic

I attended a tire repair class at an Army Depot in CO many years ago.  There is wax in the rubber and if exercised regularly (every month or so) this wax will work to the outside and help keep the tire from cracking so fast.  If not the wax dries, washes off and the rubber cracks.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Southside

Let's not forget about todays "planned obsolescence".  Can't have stuff lasting too long you know.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

Quote from: Southside on August 01, 2021, 09:37:42 PM
Let's not forget about todays "planned obsolescence".  Can't have stuff lasting too long you know.  
A lot of things are planned or set up in a way to milk the people of their labor(money is time off your life). The rich have had more and more time to dial this in, propaganda, tinkering with portions and making them smaller slowly, planned obsolescence etc. As the rich get richer their resources get better and the smaller man has a harder time swimming against the sewage current.

Let’s burn this place down in the name of profit! Money>morals
A1

Sedgehammer

My weldin trailer tires are 15 years old. no cracks. moves once a month. sat for several months at a time before i got it.

sawguy21

After having two trailer tire blowouts on one trip I am a firm believer in replacing them every 6-7 years regardless of visual condition. Changing a tire on a 2 lane section of the Trans Canada was NOT my idea of a good time!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wudman

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 03, 2021, 11:13:09 AM
After having two trailer tire blowouts on one trip I am a firm believer in replacing them every 6-7 years regardless of visual condition. Changing a tire on a 2 lane section of the Trans Canada was NOT my idea of a good time!
Back when we were building our new home, I sent my wife to the beach for 4 months in our travel trailer.  I changed three of the four tires before I made the trip.  The fourth had about 200 miles on it, but had been sitting for a few years.  About 50 miles from the destination, that fourth one disintegrated rolling down I-40.  Took out blackwater plumbing, fender skirt and part of the fender well.  I didn't save much by not changing that one as well.  Did I mention how much I hate Chinese rubber? 

Wud  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!