iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you help me with the type of my recently bought chainsaw

Started by Dutch Woods, June 07, 2020, 05:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Woods

Hello Fellow Forestry Enthousiasts,

I am a hobby lumberjack and have a small forest in the Netherlands (English is not my native language). Recently I have purchased a heavier machine for the heavy work in addition to my Stihl MS 251. Unfortunately I can only guess at the nameplates what the type number is and I hope you can help me with this with your knowledge. I hope you can give my resolution based upon the photos I have enclosed.

Thank you in advance!

Holger

All good things come to those who make them happen

doc henderson

it looks like 066.  can you get a weight and some measurements to try to confirm that.  older saw.  others may be able to tell from the look and or serial numbers.  @sawguy21 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dutch Woods

Thank you for your quick response, Doc!

That was also my first thought. Except... the man I bought the saw from showed me a receipt with the number 086 on it (second hand reseller). In the course of the week I can give you the weight and I'll look for the serial numbers.

Thank you so far, tomorrow I wil see what other reactions will follow. First I have some other chores to address.

Kind regards,

Holger

doc henderson

If so that is a power house of a saw.  There are some real experts that will have other clues.  hope you got a great deal. you might weigh the saw without the bar, and not much fuel or oil, and we can look up the listed power head weight if needed.  good luck!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

Dutch Woods

Thank you both.
In fact there isn't much information about the 086 (specs or photos), so I think you are correct.

It is a marvelous monster and in time I want to purchase a portable mill to make furniture out of the oaks I'll need to clear.

Dutch Woods

And Doc (if I may),

I've got a great deal along with a MS180. Both for $100,00.
The MS180 will go to a friend who helps me with the projects I come up with...

lxskllr

That's a really good price, even if it needs a rebuild. That'll make a great milling saw when you get going with it  :^)

Old Greenhorn

I am not a Stihl guy. I could not find any evidence that an 086 exists. Here is a link to the owners manual for the 066. Perhaps you can find enough info in the data to make a good identification.
 Good luck and let us know what you find.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nativewolf

One way to check is to remove the bar and chain and weigh the saw.  Compare to the weight of the 06X and 08X powerheads on Stihls website.  Today we might have to worry about a chinese clone but with that age I bet it is pure Stihl.  

Always glad to see post from Europe.  What are the forest like in Freisland?  Is it mostly very small woodlots? Fence row trees? 
Liking Walnut

Dutch Woods

Thank you nativewolf!

I'll look into it.
Because of the steel cap above the throttle handle I am not afraid for foreign junk.
The more I think and read about the 066, the more I am getting confident it is (probably a earlier) one. 

I deliberately chose an overseas forum because I always find it interesting to experience new people and new ways of thinking. Additionally to maintain the English language. The forests that are here in Friesland (northern Netherlands) are generally around a meadow or in small flocks. I myself have a small wood plot of two acres for the wood stove (and future projects). In general there are 70% of deciduous trees and 30% of pine trees. A lot of european oak and ash. Chestnutt, cherry and willow are also common. And the Netherlands are flat, really flat. Trees are always subject to strong winds.  

Four weeks ago I had a surgical saw-job in Sweden. A 24.000kg ash and a 14.000kg pine tree. It started of as a joke, yet I took the 1500km trip anyway. Just for adventure and experience. Sweden is comparable with Canada I reckon, lakes surrounded by pine.

Dutch Woods

And what is it like in Virginia? Mostly pine?
Or does the coastal influence give a wider variation in numerous trees?

Al_Smith

Pine Ridge

That is a Stihl 066 red light, i've never owned one but they highly regarded by many loggers. Here in the U.S. you can call Stihl USA with your serial number and they will usually be able to tell you what model you have, year of manufacture and where and when it was originally sold. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Dutch Woods

Thank you for your reply, Pine Ridge!

Trusting the all-knowing Watsons this Sherlock has to conclude he ownes a 066 red light.
I'll cease my investigation and go with the 066 theory.

Thank you all for helping me discover the correct type of my recently purchased saw.
Furthermore I will keep you informed about my progress with a possible mobile milling rig.

With kind regards!

Holger 

Pine Ridge

From the info i can find the red light version was made in 1991 and 1992, which may or may not be correct. 

pine

I know that everyone else seems to be going with the 066 as the identification. 
Without anymore info than the pictures I would go with the Stihl 036.  Just does not quite fit the 066's that I have been around.  I am probably wrong but you might look at that possibility.

doc henderson

so it sounds like you have some experience.  your icon pic looks like a row of saws, and sounds likesome big trees.  any more info about you.  does the saw run?  another trick I have used is to take numerous pics of old barely legible tag with different angles and lighting, and some times you can blow up the pic (on a phone camera) and see it more clearly.  maybe with a light cleaning.  the serial number will give the most information.

ehp

, that's 1 of the first 066;s built, there a good strong saw as long as the coil stay running . you can but a coil off the 064 in it but you will need to rotate the flywheel to the different key way , It will run great with out changing the flywheel key way but you better get mad before you pull that starter cord cause if you donot really pull it hard your going to be mad when saw tries to pull your fingers off your arm

Pine Ridge

Red light is above the carb adjustments in the picture.

Dutch Woods

I want to thank everyone who responded to my posts for the help. I am now sure that it is a 066. Today I took both saws to the local Stihl dealer for service and they were able to confirm that it is a 066.

In about two weeks I expect to show a video of the 066 running. The main lever did not stop at the halfchoke so there is something fishy about the mechanism. They'll sort it out.

In the meantime I will post a video of the trees I've cut in Sweden in the course of this week. 

Dutch Woods

Quote from: doc henderson on June 07, 2020, 06:12:30 PM
so it sounds like you have some experience.  your icon pic looks like a row of saws, and sounds likesome big trees.  any more info about you.  does the saw run?  another trick I have used is to take numerous pics of old barely legible tag with different angles and lighting, and some times you can blow up the pic (on a phone camera) and see it more clearly.  maybe with a light cleaning.  the serial number will give the most information.
Hi Doc,
Here is my short background story:
In januari of 2018 I was looking for firewood for my little Mørso Stove (model 1442) and stumbled upon a parcel of oaks. A buddy of mine is a real estate steward and told me the ins, outs and obligations of owning a parcel. The next day I purchased the lot. That autumn I followed a MS course and now I have my license to fell trees. From that moment on I took every opportunity to gain experience.  I get about 5 oak trees from my forest to light my wood stove and my sauna and for the fireplace of my buddy who helps me.  I also like to escape the hasty life to spend time in nature and keep coming up with new projects that enhance my creativity and skills.

Thank You Sponsors!