iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log turner question

Started by mike_van, July 23, 2006, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

I've got a question for anyone with the bar/chain type log turner - Where does the pivot point mount?  Like  the middle of the deck, closer to the stops, or out where your going to turn your biggest log? Any one wish there's were different?  Any ideas  appreciated - Mike Van
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Brad_S.

Mine is movable so that I can be close to the posts for turning cants down to 4" or moved out to turn a 36" log. The picture is pretty poor, but at least you can clearly see the hydraulic cylinder which moves the turner in and out in this shot. I can get you a better picture tomorrow when I'm set up if you want.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

I would appreciate some better photos, Brad. Gotta build another one, down here.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Mine is attached to a bunk on the same side of the bed as the "stops" , "squaring dogs".

The bar is long enough that it reaches all the way across the bed and lowers below the bunks.

When raised, it contacts the outside bottom of logs and cants whether large or small. 

It turns a 6" cant fine.  It will not reach anything smaller than that.  For the smaller stuff, I use the turner.

The turner barely reaches 2" stuff so I turn that by hand.

mike_van

Here's what i've built so far,
The bar is about 38" long,  the mount to the floor is next, I have to saw out some concrete, install some long anchors. The grey steel 1" thick plate is from my last turner, it worked o.k., but tore up nice faces on logs. Brad, I like the idea of the whole deal sliding, I have an extra ram & valve, I may do that too.  I really hate "redoing" steel work - it takes so long to do it the first time.  Tom, i'd like mine to do the same as yours, from a 6x6 to a 30" if need be.

mike_van

Brad_S.

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 23, 2006, 08:34:06 AM

I would appreciate some better photos, Brad. Gotta build another one, down here.  ::)

As per your request, FDH, finally! :D Had to do some work on the turner, so in these photos, the hydraulic lines are not hooked up. Sorry about all the sawdust in the way, it didn't seem that distracting looking at it in person. Rather self explanatory but let me know if you have questions.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

Excellent photos, Brad.  Thanks  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

I've been wanting to ask for photos of chain turners myself, Thanks for posting these 8)
remember man that thy are dust.

flip

If ya plan on building one the bigger the "teeth" the better.  Take a look at Cooks or TKs 2400 model.  The chain is #100 and the teeth used to turn the cant are bigger than my thumb.  The bigger teeth seem to tear the wood less, just a thought.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

mike_van

I made my own teeth, carbide auger teeth, only because I had no other use for them.  They work fine, 3/4" or   1" square bar would  work good too.

Thank You Sponsors!