Sponsors:

Who's footprint?

Started by Sprucegum, August 28, 2006, 12:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

So what do you think?

Do I have an elk living here?

Sprucegum

I thought the ruler would show up better, it's almost 6 inches long and about 4 inches across the base. Way too big for any deer we have around here. I have seen some other tracks and heard some noises in the bush but have yet to lay eyes on him(or her).

beenthere

Sprucegum
I'd say moose, before elk.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Not sure it's moose, is the hoof split and do you see it's back toe prints (I forget what they call those). The shape is right for moose.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

Someone making a bighoof hoax? ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

Sprucegum

It is a split hoof but I have not seen any back-toe marks.

I thought a moose would be more rounded at the front?

Modat a bighoof hoax would be twice that size - with 5 toes  ;)

beenthere

If they are running, the back-toe (dew claw) marks show, but not usually when walking. The elk are more rounded on the outside edges and usually (not always) split more (space showing between).
In mud, different formations appear, than when on drier ground.

But I don't know for sure. Just my guess.  I'm sure it's not a bear.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Should we get Jeff to confirm that it's not a bear ??? ??? :D :D

Maybe it's da tirdy point buck smiley_antlers smiley_antlers smiley_antlers
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Sprucegum on August 28, 2006, 08:53:52 AM
It is a split hoof but I have not seen any back-toe marks.

I thought a moose would be more rounded at the front?

Modat a bighoof hoax would be twice that size - with 5 toes  ;)

Female moose and young bulls are more pointy toed than mature males.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I have never seen an elk print , but have seen lots of moose . I sure would not eliminate a moose from having put that footprint down . That would be the right size for a year and a half old moose . Then again , like I said , aint never seen an elk track before so ... could be that too.  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Beware, my fine feathered friend.  You are in the presence of a wild cupid.  The footprint is obviously apparent.  Once upon a time, in another continuum, the cupids feet were cloven.  It's the shape of the print that led to the sign of the heart, of which they are so well known.

Be very afraid.  Do not venture beyond the safety of your doorstep.  Associate only with crowds and keep your bosom well protected from assailing darts.  They carry a terminal illness that inflicts victims with blinders and the inability to converse coherently.

Quickly cover the tracks you have found to prevent others from finding your abode.

I wish you well. :P

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Sprucegum

That's pretty scary Tom, I found these tracks in the fresh dirt from my new outhouse. And you are right - very few can converse coherently on that doorstep.  ;D  ;D ???

All you other folks are probably right about it being a moose print, it's prime moose habitat around here.

I was hoping for an elk 'cause they are not so common. There are a few that escaped during the BSE troubles. It's against the law to release game farm animals into the wild. The farmers were caught but some of the elk are still avoiding capture.  smiley_heart

Thank You Sponsors!