iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Primitive Firearms"

Started by Magicman, February 23, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A few years ago Mississippi allowed "100 year old" ammunition and the single shot rifle types available then to be included as legal "primitive firearms" during our primitive deer season.  Cartridges such as 45-70, etc. were legalized. 

It is my understanding that in order to reduce our deer population all normally legal firearms will be legal during this Fall's deer seasons.  Archery & crossbow seasons will still be as is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

hmm, perhaps I should offer my 1871 and 1871/84 mausers, in 11mm, for sale in Mississippi.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clww

Member loggah has a museum full of primitive arms. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on February 23, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
Member loggah has a museum full of primitive arms. :)

That's because Don is over 200 years old.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Careful! You may not be out of range. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

Would my brother inlaws 45/120 be legal ? its black powder
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Anything .223 or larger is legal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

MM, are you saying they've effectively gotten rid of the primitive firearms season?  Bet the true smokepolers are none to happy.

Quote from: Magicman on February 25, 2014, 08:30:50 PM
Anything .223 or larger is legal.
Up here you're allowed to use as small as a 22mag during regular firearms on deer.  I've never spoken to or seen written where anyone thinks that's an acceptable caliber for deer.  But it's been that way since before I started hunting. ::)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

pineywoods

Around here, 22LR is the weapon of choice for outlaws who jack lite deer..Close range, shoot in the head...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

Yep, night hunters version of a silenced firearm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Actually they aim for the ear hole.

I once needed to put a cancer cow down.  I shot her between the eyes with a .22 magnum and she just shook her head.  One shot in the ear hole and she was down for the count.  Months later I looked at the skull to see what had happened with the "between the eyes" shot.  There was not a mark on the skull.

chain

Missouri approved the use of the 'atlatl' a couple years back during firearms deer season. although not a firearm, the atlatl is more primitive than the bow and arrow and interested folks questioned the use of such in firearms season.

But now, the atlatl is used in all deer seasons, even turkey.  ???

terry f

When they add a 45-70 or 30-06 to primitive seasons, and crossbows to archery seasons, you might as well throw in the towel and not separate anything. Seems to be a free for all, with the intent to kill as many deer as possible to get the numbers where they should be. For you guys in states with too high of numbers, do you pass on a lot of deer? As far as using a 22mag for deer, that seems irresponsible and not fair to the deer.

Magicman

Terry, no, it is not a 'free for all" at least not in my description.  We will now have two seasons; firearms and archery.  No separate primitive firearm season as was in the past.  Crossbows are legal during archery for handicap, disabled, and age, with a Doctor's "prescription". 

Passing on animals is not an issue because the legal bag limit was not increased.  The new regulations simply are to make it easier for or help insure that hunters reach that bag limit. 

terry f

Magicman, what is your bag limit? You know more than most, that the farther out west you go, the more restrictive the hunting is as far as where and with what you can hunt with. Oregon was going to allow disabled hunters to use a crossbows, but that got shelved until next year.

Magicman

Three bucks and five does.

Bag Limits:

Antlered Buck Deer: The bag limit on antlered buck deer is one (1) buck per day, not to exceed three (3) per license year. Legal bucks must meet the antler criteria within the appropriate deer management zone. For youth hunters fifteen (15) years of age and younger, hunting on private land and authorized state and federal lands, all three (3) of the three (3) buck bag limit may be any antlered deer.

A legal buck in my area is defined as having EITHER a minimum inside spread of 10 inches OR a minimum main beam length of 13 inches, with no point restriction.

Antlerless Deer: The bag limit on antlerless deer is one (1) per day, not to exceed five (5) per license year.

Chuck White

In the Northern Tier of New York, any centerfire rifle or shotguns 20 gage and larger are legal, black powder guns must be single shot and 44 cal. minimum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!