iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

repower diesel?

Started by coastlogger, February 08, 2012, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastlogger

Thinking of upgrading my FGM 2000 mill to a 20.5 hp Yanmar I can aquire for a song.Currently I have 13 Honda others with same mill run 20 hp Honda no issues.
Mods would be extensive. I would have to lengthen the 2 inch tube frame by about 18 inches, and Im concerned about the weight. It would be =/-500 lbs compared to 60 now.My raise lower is 2: 1 inch acme thread rods,hyd power.
Any advice appreciated.

clgr

Magicman

I am not familiar with your sawmill but yes, weight should/would be a major concern for your sawmill's up/down mechanism as well as the overall sawmill structure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Buy the Yanmar anyway, especially if its for a song,
Get a 20 HP Honda or Look at a Lombardini/Kohler diesel.

What is the history of your Mill?

Best
DGDrls

bandmiller2

Coasty,I'd go for it,you have the ability.What you have should handle the weight,especially if you add lead counterweights or spring assist.Balance is important,do the best you can on that.You could always do what I did and use a hydraulic cylinder reeved with wire cable I could pick up a 3-71 Detroit with my setup. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

coastlogger

This mill was mfctrd by a local guy who made them for a few years in the late 90s.Everything is built strong and easily welded to.19 inch wheels 36 inch log capacity.Frank I was thinking of the garage door spring to look after some weight.Wonder how much they will pick up?Also wondering abt band speed/pulley size.Right now im going 5000fpm. Is this right for more power WM dbl hard bands.
Engine is a Yanmar 3TM84,needs a rad of course.

clgr

Magicman

It appears to be a loooong bed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eastberkshirecustoms

I like it, it looks stout. With a little mod. work, it should handle that diesel, no problem.

bandmiller2

Clgr,I'am no authority on band speed but I'd say your in the ball park around 5000 sfpm. Seeing as you will be awash with power you could try slowing the engine down a little to find its best cutting speed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!