iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction thread

Started by Rob Bocik, March 05, 2013, 08:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Bocik

Is there one or am I blind ???  The later is likely but I can smell a burl a mile away  :P

thecfarm

You just started one.  :D  Welcome to the forum. There is no special place. Just as you titled this thread will get the attention of other FF members. Post on about yourself. Update your profile with just a state  will show where you are from. Helps out with questions and answers later on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Say when

Rob Bocik

Quote from: thecfarm on March 05, 2013, 09:13:15 AM
You just started one.  :D  Welcome to the forum. There is no special place. Just as you titled this thread will get the attention of other FF members. Post on about yourself. Update your profile with just a state  will show where you are from. Helps out with questions and answers later on.

Updated!

I spent +/- 23 years in the insurance industry including adjusting both for carriers and against them (against is more fun  :snowball:) also performed insurance contracting and environmental remediation services. Did 6 year stint at Chicago Housing and Urban Development. That was a pretty cool gig albeit a hazardous one. Lots of proud accomplishments at HUD. My Co. was instrumental in working with Chicago HUD and directly with Washington DC in the successful restoration over 600 boarded up building throughout the city. Some of them were historic, I think that is where I learned to appreciate true craftsmanship. Some of these buildings were built in the late 1800 and had been boarded up for decades. Like milling a log everyone brought a surprise inside (some not so pleasant) We restored mansions that were 12000+ SF with ball rooms and butlers quarters. I wish I still had pictures of a few of the floors and crown moldings in these places. One of them was herringbone pattern of different exotics with a ebony border  :o And then a few people embezzled/defrauded Uncle Sam out of 90mil-ish . and the program was shut down.

Fast forwarding 20 years I now live in St Petersburg Florida with my wife Zoe. We own and operate Funktionhouse Urban Lumber and Furnishings. We are a small but growing start up that came from our love of fine furniture that is actually build from wood from America and in America. However, most of our lumber comes from imported trees such as Indian Rosewood (sissoo) yes we have IRW as yard trees here  ;D. we also have camphor, Cuban mahogany, She oak, silky oak, live oak, long leaf pine/heart pine, Blue mahoe, Magolia, Sweetgum, monkey pod, Norfolk Island Pine, Holly, Mango, ERC, Eucalyptus and the list goes on.   cut_tree

Our mission statement...
FUNKTIONHOUSE Urban Lumber & Furnishings supplies unique and rare slabs, turning stock and lumber, and builds one of a kind, quality home furnishings using urban trees cut down in our own neighborhood. Owners Robert & Zoë Bocik salvage these beautiful trees by working with local arborists, home-owners, and municipalities—having trees that otherwise would have been firewood or landfill delivered to their on-site milling yard. Together, they mill and then render this gorgeous wood for use after drying it in their on-site dehumidifying kiln. Because Rob & Zoë are involved 'hands-on' with every step of the process from tree selection and milling to completed object, their love for wood and passion for the environment is translated into their beautiful and elegant furnishing designs; showcasing the incredible figure and colors of urban lumber, utilizing simple builds and completing each project with natural finishes; letting the wood "speak for itself".

Thats me in a walnut shell  ;D

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rob.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

reride82

Welcome Rob,

Its good to have you here on the Forestry Forum!

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Autocar

Welcome, nice to hear about someone saving trees from landfills.
Bill

Offthebeatenpath

Sounds like you have a well thought out and well intentioned niche business Rob.  Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information and great connections here.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Sonofman

Welcome Rob, it sounds like you will just fit right in.
Located due west of Due West.

swampbuggy

Welcome to the FF. I'm in Ft. Myers if you need anything! Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Rob Bocik

swampbuggy

how about Australian Pine..

Or a puck of Norfolk Island Pine?

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Rob Bocik

Lots of NIP and AU Pine here. I have 2 acres  :o of AU pine waiting to get milled now. I milled some NIP last weekend and is all curly inside  smiley_blue_bounce

Got any Bunya Bunya pines down there? I am looking for some pods to cast.

ND rancher

Welcome Rob, Good to have you aboard ! :D
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I think he is going to blend.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rob.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!