iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big tree for around here

Started by wheelinguy, February 18, 2012, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

Stopped at a farm the other day to check out some trees he had laying in a pile, he came to see what i was doing, got to talking and he showed me the big tree.  He had a popple that was over five and a half feet across the base!  It was about 16 feet long and he said it weighed about 8 tons, told me i could have it if i wanted it! :D  Turns out it came from my hometown and had to be taken down due to damage from hurricane irene.

Patty

Pictures! We need pictures!

Sounds like that was a big tree no matter where you're from.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Okrafarmer

:o  Wow! Break out the swing mill!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dave Tarheels

LT 20 Woodmizer

SwampDonkey

Sounds like a cottonwood or what we locally call a Carolina Poplar.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wheelinguy

What we call cottonwood around here doesn't grow that big, they usually only grow in wet areas and don't get much more than 12 or 18 inches across the stump. Dave the tree is in VT, a little bit of a drive for you!  My wife did say she drove by the other day and the tree is still there, maybe in my "spare" time I can get up there and get a picture of it.

SwampDonkey

Your thinking of balsam poplar or balm-of-gilead. Be even that will grow 30 inches in cedar swamp and the bark goes orange when big. Carolina poplar is a transplant from outside the region. But it grows monstrous.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!