iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting the lignin

Started by Larry, August 03, 2016, 09:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I was told today setting the lignin during kiln drying will harden the cell walls.  The benefit is the wood will not move as dramatically as air dried wood.  To set the lignin it was said the kiln had to be operated at high heat. 

I have a couple of questions.  Does setting the lignin have any benefit in normal use?  How high of temperature is required to set the lignin?

The discussion was prompted by a question about using wood in segmented wood turning where wood movement can cause a cracked turning.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Den Socling

I don't know anything about the process you are talking about but if you try high temperature without 100% RH, you have ruined your wood.

You may have seen something about thermally treated wood. That requires a vacuum chamber. The vacuum keeps the wood from burning.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

What you were told is not true when using standard kiln temperatures. Lignin does not react in this manner. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!