iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362 Ignition module problems

Started by jackganssle, December 05, 2021, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackganssle

Folks,

I have an MS362 I bought a dozen years ago. It has been a great saw... until now. The ignition module failed. I bought a new one from the Stihl dealer for $138. The wrong part was delivered. I returned it, and got another. It had a too-short spark plug lead. Returned it again and finally got one that works. Or worked. For about a month. That failed. I ordered another, for another $138, and it came in a few days ago. The spark plug wire is too short. I returned it and they are trying to get the right module. Now, each iteration is a week to two weeks. The saw has been effectively down for months. Are Stihl parts so bad? What can cause the module to fail repeatedly?

Not sure I'd buy another Stihl saw at this point.
Woodmizer LT-15

doc henderson

I am a Stihl guy, and we have seen a decline over the past 10 years with many big name brand colored products.  I have no insight, other than if you have a good dealer, it seems they should be able to get that part replaced at no charge.  I know many electronic parts have a "cannot return if used" policy.  I had trouble with a 661, and my dealer was able to get a regional guy to help with problems.  It used some of my time (I think they understood and respected that) and I got a full refund towards a different saw a year later after all the problems.  You do not know what the next brand will be like at this point, and I guess it also is important to have a good dealer.  hope you get a solution soon.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

On automotive gasoline you need to make sure that it's attached with some form of heat sink "compound" or the module will go bad prematurely. I don't know if that's applicable to a chainsaw or not.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

I don't know much about stihl, but didn't the 362 have a major redesign after the 1st couple years? Could explain why they keep getting the wrong coil. Not a mistake that should be repeated though.  Does this guy seem to know his stuff, or does he need the computer to answer every question?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!