iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olympic chains saw....

Started by mrcaptainbob, April 13, 2014, 10:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I might purchase an Olympic chain saw. Not sure about it, never heard of them before. I believe it's in running condition. What about them? Any good? The plan is to use it on a chainsaw mill, as I believe it's a large power head. I'll get the model number this week. I presently have an MS310 and an older 031AV that are used for acquiring firewood. This Olympic has a rather large bar on it.

NCFarmboy

Olympyk/Olympic are old model Efco brand.  Saws are as good as any IMO.  I have several.  Favorites are 956/156 and 962/162.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Little Al

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on April 13, 2014, 10:26:19 PM
I might purchase an Olympic chain saw. Not sure about it, never heard of them before. I believe it's in running condition. What about them? Any good? The plan is to use it on a chainsaw mill, as I believe it's a large power head. I'll get the model number this week. I presently have an MS310 and an older 031AV that are used for acquiring firewood. This Olympic has a rather large bar on it.

The manufacturers of Olympic saws also make Oleo Mac, Vap, Nauder, Nautic, Then became Efco, parent company Is Emack Most if not all saws produced in Italy IMO; some models equal to the big 2.

7sleeper

As far as I understood all saw parts are produced in Italy and only the smallest line is assembeld in far east. All else are assembeld in Italy.

I like my Oleo Macs(2600, 3500 & 962) very much! They belong to my go to saws.

mrcaptainbob

Olympic update....I did purchase that Olympic. The 'large bar' was not. It was an 18". I want to replace it with a 20". The old one is a Total Super Bar that has T66IH stamped near the mounting end. The buggered up tip is marked p/n 48PV84, 3/8 050-058. I am ignorant as to how some of this stuff works. I know the tip is replaceable, but is it the tip that can add the length to make it 20"? Or do I need a whole new bar? Also...is Total the only brand bar that fits this Olympic? One more....I want something like my Stihl bars...with a bearing in the sprocket tip. I had no idea that Total needed greasing, hence the buggered tip.

sawguy21

You want a new bar, you won't gain length by changing the tip. Go to the Oregon site and plug in your model number to see what they offer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!