iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill bed with wheels built

Started by in10sity, December 22, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

in10sity

Just finished with my sawmill bed and wheel package.  Used a bunch of metal I had laying around.  The wheel set is from an anhydrous amonia trailer.  Since I will be working with my gooseneck trailer I wanted it the same height.  I built the bed 25ft, ended up using 1/4 inch i beams stacked, then sandwiched between two 1/4 inch strap steel plates.  Turned out to be a little on the heavy side, so I'm glad for the four wheels.  With a cart design I can winch it on the trailer and still get my loader tractor on the trailer.  Since I'm dealing in big logs I can winch them up on my trailer and roll them over to the mill.  Will post a pic when I get it all painted.  Total cost to me was $300 and change.  The rest came from collecting, trading, and grabbing what others call junk. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG......Look at the TOYS on your trailer.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

in10sity

Trailer is almost like a shop, can never have one big enough.  I do turn heads when loaded up going to a tractor show.

francismilker

If I had all the vintage equipment on that trailer, I'd be driving that green one up and down the county road singing "she thinks my tractor's sexy"!   

Nice looking sturdy mill trailer.  Is it going to serve as both the trailer and the mill deck?
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

shelbycharger400

that john deere on that trailer looks like a combine style .   What is that yellow one.

I was thinkin bout doing the same deal with impliment axles such as you did for my big sawmill

in10sity

Good eye on the JD.  It's a LUC engine off a model 12A beetle back combine. The yellow tractor I call it a 1917 Holt, it is hand built using road grader parts, Case stationary engine cart, harrow parts, belt pullies from who knows what, Allis model B rear end and tranny, driven by a Fairmont Railway 2 cycle single cylinder hit and miss engine. I used a 90 degree gear box to belt drive into the tranny.

The cart is for milling, but now that you mention is I'm sure I could move it with a log on board.  I've got a big pile of oaks just over 3' and 15' to 20' long.  Wanted something sturdy to hold them. 

paul case

Where in Oklahoma are you located?

I like the build so far. Is the head of the mill going to be shop built as well?
What are you going to be making with the lumber/wood?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tgalbraith

Nice job on building. The only problem I can see is lack of suspension on the rig. It might be fine on level or paved areas, but will put tremendous stress on your welds if one wheel goes into a pothole.
Good luck with your project.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

in10sity

There is a solid axle in the rear, but up front the frame sits on the spring pack, that should provide enough flex as not to cause any problems with the welds.

Thank You Sponsors!