iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seminar Topics

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, February 21, 2013, 08:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I am working on the seminar topics in sawing and drying for the Paul Bunyan Show and Sawmill Shoot Out (eastern Ohio, OCt 4-6, 2013).  Do you have any suggestions for topics?  We have included hardwood sawing techniques, softwood sawing techniques, hardwood edging, hardwood lumber grading, dehumidification drying techniques, and solar drying in the past.  We can do some of these again, or maybe you have a new idea.  All ideas considered. Thanks.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Maximizing profits from your small sawmill operation.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 21, 2013, 08:27:50 AM
Maximizing profits from your small sawmill operation.

Good idea Scott. Most of the info I ever read is on big operations. I'm one of the "little guys" and I could use a $ boost.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Great idea.  I do have a presentation for medium and small mills called "it's all about money" and it could be developed into this topic indeed.  Thanks.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

mesquite buckeye

How about developing markets for trees nobody seems to want ??? ??? ???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Do you mean "Do I get paid for planning a seminar program or for preparing the actual presentation?"  The answer is " No."  Never have in 50 years.

Do you mean "do I get paid for teaching?"  When I went there two years ago, they paid for travel expense.  I believe at Christmas, I got a gift certificate (for a new Ford truck?...no.-- $75 to Amazon.com) but it might have been related to the Sawmill & Woodlot magazine writing I do, rather than the show.  The two have some connection, but I do not know what it is.

Or did you mean "Is the sawmilling gig suppose to make a profit?"  Yes, but not too much.

Is this the answer to your question?

Magicman

???  To me, with this and a couple of other threads that you have started, it appeared that you were trying to drum up business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Gentle people. Not sure where this is heading, but we'd probably better rewind at least a little bit and set out in a different direction.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I doubt that anyone here would want to spend as much as I charge for my services as a consultant.  I do not have that in mind.  I already do as much consulting as I want to at my age; do not need more...I enjoy volunteering (Habitat for Humanity, NOMADS, church) and my kids and grandkids.

I do this purely for enjoyment and to learn more about our industry.

Peter Drouin

And reading your post Gene Wengert-WoodDoc ,I do learn from you and outher FF members thanks to all :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

1woodguy

I also learn from Gene as well as all the other members,going over everyone's ideas is great!
   the more I learn about easier or smarter ways of doing things seeing all viewpoints the more profitable I can become. :)
I f  I use the info to better my business , or just curious about sawmills or I am writing a book about mills what better place to learn more than here!
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

EZ

I like the idea about having something about the small mill business.
I will be there for sure.
EZ

Cedarman

I have given talks at several cedar sessions around the country.  It takes a good bit of preparation to give a talk that will benefit the listeners and one that they will enjoy listening too.  Might get a meal and a hotel room paid for.

One of the things I try to do once or twice a year is to visit trade shows and talk to anyone and everyone that I think can advance my business. 

I remember someone and I think it was Gene talking about visiting a mill and measuring all the edging strips that came down the line.  From one day of seeing the waste in the edging strips and changing how lumber was edged to take advantage of NHLA grading rules, this soon paid for the visit.

It is up to us to take advantage of all the learning that we can.

One good talk I remember was WM  Laskowski giving a talk on value added.  He showed a chart of difference in killed dried lumber versus green.  No big deal until the spread between 4/4 dried and 8/4 dried compared to green.  This showed that  there are certain areas that can yield big profits if you can make the product.  He was pushing vacuum kilns at the time.  Caused me to take a deep look at value added and see where there were profits to be had.

One area for a good talk is how a small change in a products price can make a big difference in profit or loss.  The smaller the profit margin the more magnified the change can be.  This is why I say a 3% to 5% credit card charge is a profit killer unless that charge is born by the consumer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

1woodguy

Cedarman
  I Totally agree when your working with a smaller profit margin.card charges coupled with afew  other unoticed percentage killers can make or break you
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

m wood

Yes Gene, hardwood and softwood sawing techniques would probably do me well, as I will have had a few months to wonder about what I am doing.  October is probably a do-able time frame for me too.  Solar drying seminar would pique my interest also.  That is a show I should be able to make, and I would be glad to shake your hand then.
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

WDH

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 21, 2013, 06:19:04 PM
I doubt that anyone here would want to spend as much as I charge for my services as a consultant. 

Me and you, both  :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!