iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimbercutter

Thats what im gonna do. Cut the low grade and hold the rest. Landowner is in no hurry .. White oak is still good here . Saved enough of it on this job to get threw the winter. 
White pine is still high too . 
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

nativewolf

We still get ro veneer and ro butt logs are going for export.  It's ok pricing.  

Tie logs market is tough for us, far bit of miles. 
Liking Walnut

ehp

white pine is very good here right now , I still sell veneer at a good price but they got to be good . Red maple is good as well 

Peter Drouin

.48 a bf for w pine here, log in the yard. ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ehp

ya were alot more than that for WP if its big enough and long enough to  make timbers 

ehp

the buyers are telling us to hang on tight , she is going to get pretty rough here in the near future

Firewoodjoe

I heard veneer is good just not the grade. But what does it compare to 2018-19? Heck why does that matter. My fuel went sky high again this week. Up .75 from last time. 

Firewoodjoe

That .75 is over $500 a month for me and I'm a small time nobody in these parts. Guys with multiple crews and trucks must be feeling it again. 

nativewolf

the good news bad news on fuel is that if we head to recession the fuel price collapses.  Russia and OPEC tried to force a price increase by cutting production by a huge amount but it's already falling like a rock again.  Next week could be back under $80 a barrel and the oil folks think both Russia and OPEC are cheating on the production cuts.  

2 weeks ago we had diesel at 4 and I almost bought 1000 gallons, wish I had.  It's back close to 5 this week.  

Log price news I was very happy at the price of the bridge timber crane mat prices.  YP veneer is still good and so are RO and WO at least here.  However, the walnut sawlog prices are reflecting lumber and falling hard.  

We've been able to keep YP average straight through close to $0.65 or 70 but that's been work.  The lower grade material is paying so well we sometimes just push perfect logs into that.  

Liking Walnut

Southside

The Valero I passed by yesterday was $4.97 for fuel and they had none, pumps covered up. This evening it was $5.09, so the load they got in cost more again. Fuel prices are not following crude and are not going down anytime soon. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OH logger

Quote from: nativewolf on October 14, 2022, 07:51:55 PM
the good news bad news on fuel is that if we head to recession the fuel price collapses.  Russia and OPEC tried to force a price increase by cutting production by a huge amount but it's already falling like a rock again.  Next week could be back under $80 a barrel and the oil folks think both Russia and OPEC are cheating on the production cuts.  

2 weeks ago we had diesel at 4 and I almost bought 1000 gallons, wish I had.  It's back close to 5 this week.  

Log price news I was very happy at the price of the bridge timber crane mat prices.  YP veneer is still good and so are RO and WO at least here.  However, the walnut sawlog prices are reflecting lumber and falling hard.  

We've been able to keep YP average straight through close to $0.65 or 70 but that's been work.  The lower grade material is paying so well we sometimes just push perfect logs into that.  

By definition Aren't we allready in a recession?  And if so why is fuel still goin up?  Because it can is what my guess is. 

Pallet logs are still going down. No orders for pallet lumber comin in I hear from several buyers. I hear grade might be at the bottom but who knows at this point. Veneer is still good 
john

OH logger

In my opinion logs aren't a bad price. It's all the expenses that have gotten out of hand. ALL EXPENSES. If we have a dry fall all the mills
Up here will
Be stuffed full and shutting guys off or put on quotas 
john

Firewoodjoe

Our bolt mills are low. 6"-12". Literally everything we cut is open quota.  But hardwood lumber is bad. 

nativewolf

Pallet mills can't keep up with demands but supply is crushing pricing.  Supply chain is sorting itself out and the buyers we've talked to say pallet demand is high.  The issue is lots of folks dumping pallet cants as they can't move flooring- what I hear at least.  

All the material thats not related to regular hardwood lumber (crane mats, peeler YP logs, pine saw logs, veneer, many export logs) are doing fine.  Example: still at 800 a thousand for long good sized junky RO with a trucking bonus.  

When markets zig it helps if you can zag.

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: OH logger on October 14, 2022, 08:20:28 PM
In my opinion logs aren't a bad price. It's all the expenses that have gotten out of hand. ALL EXPENSES. If we have a dry fall all the mills
Up here will
Be stuffed full and shutting guys off or put on quotas
I agree and worry a bit about a dry fall in Ohio/WV/KY.  We'll see.  
Best of luck to all and I'll keep updating with thoughts and things I hear.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

For us its the taxes on the fuel that is killing everyone , this carbon tax crap is crazy up here . winter heating oil is out of this world already and going higher , were pretty much double the cost per dollar on a barrel of oil compared to before , $100 cost per barrel use to cost us $1 a litre now the same barrel cost will cost us over $2 a litre

customsawyer

For what it is worth I thought you guys might like to hear that I'm steady having to turn down orders that I can't cut fast enough. I turned down a 100K bf per month order of pallet lumber two weeks ago. This week I turned down a 300K bf per month order of pallet lumber and a order for 16,000 12x12x30'. I say all of this to point out that the wood is still moving out there and more orders are still coming in.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

I didn't think you wholesale stuff. Up here, there's no $$ in it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

I don't wholesale anymore. The point is that for three different companies to be calling asking for product than there is still a decent level of demand. I know that for the most part it is peanuts to what these guys are producing but on the other hand 16000 12x12x30' isn't a small order. I'm just a small mom and pop type of mill and get these calls on a regular basis. Someone is needing wood and they don't seem to have a regular supplier.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Hogdaddy

Wow @nativewolf  my poplar went down again this week, avg. not quite .50 tree run. I would love to have .60 again... red oak is the pits here, from what I'm hearing it won't even avg .35 and they don't want it, tell you to take it somewhere else. Tough times are already here feels like to me, and going to get tougher.
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

teakwood

Happy birthday customsawyer, have some beers! ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Corley5

A local mill that buys sugar maple flooring bolts shut all their suppliers off yesterday.  Loaded trucks enroute to the mill were told to turn around.  This comes after just a few days ago they were calling suppliers looking for wood.  No one outside of management knows the reasons for the shutdown or the future.  They were paying around $200 per 100" cord with a 7" min. diameter.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

That is real bad when they're turning around loaded trucks😬

Happy birthday, Customsawyer!
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

@Hogdaddy give me a ring and I'll try to find some poplar solutions for you.  
Liking Walnut

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!