iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New rule starting NOW!

Started by DR Buck, April 12, 2005, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I milled about 2400 board feet of red & white oak, hickory and maple this weekend.  Most of the logs were in the 16" - 18 "  diameter.   Problem was they were ALL down hill from the loading arms!  Each one had to be rolled up with cant hooks and held in place until I raised the loading arms.   

If that wasn't bad enough, It took me over an hour to get the mill setup so it was level and we could keep the loader arms almost at ground level.   I ended up digging holes in the ground on the uphill side of the mill and letting the wheel and jacks drop down into the hole.

So the New Rule from this day and forever forward is all logs will be on level ground, or up hill from the loader arms. Otherwise, I go home.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

There's some days when the lerning curve gets real steep, eh? :D :D

Be careful of requesting uphill.   Some of these folks will have them on a hill where you can't get them stopped. :)

Brad_S.

"Well I thought your saw had one of those grabby thingys that you could just pick it up with and set it on your saw." ::)

"You didn't say the ground had to be level in BOTH directions. I thought if you set up parallel to the slope it would be fine." >:(

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

What's a hill ??? The state don't allow us to cut on them overpass thingys ;D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Ianab

Whats flat ground ???  :D
My usual location has a spot sorta flat enough for the log to sit on ::)

But yeah... logs uphill of the mill is WAY easier
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Minnesota_boy

I'd roll logs uphill any day over trying to roll logs that are frozen to the ground.  :( :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

pigman

Two years ago I milled about 3500 ft of lumber on the side of a hill with a 20 degree slope. :( Took me an hour to get the mill set up. ::) The logs were on the up hill side of the mill, but twice the logs knocked the mill off the foot high supports on the lower side. :o There was a flat area at the bottom of the hill, but the customer said he didn't want the saw dust and other mess there. ::) I was younger and not too bright then. :-[ Now I am just older. If he wants any more logs sawed, I am going to be indefinitely busy. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Randy

I installed a hand winch with 175ft of 3/16 cable that I use if I need to roll the log uphill or a log thats to BIG for "MY BACK" with the cant hook-----Works a whole lot better than fighting that cant hook, but It SURE does help if the logs are uphill-------------small hill that is :D. Randy

chet

I looked at a job last summer. All the logs were laying in a rather deep ditch.  ::)  The guy seemed more than a little irritated with me that I didn't want to wrestle them out of it, at no additional cost to him.   :-\   I told him if he got them up on level ground I'd be happy ta saw um up. It's been 13 months now and they are still in dat ditch.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!