iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw chaps?

Started by swtfsh, January 10, 2009, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swtfsh

Hi all, looking to purchase a pair of chainsaw chaps. Can anyone recommend a brand? That Labonville video looks convincing. Thanks!

WildDog

Hi and welcome swtfsh,

I personally use stihl and buy the guys at work the same ones, I think from memory they make lite and heavy weight ones our older pairs were green, not sure if the color means anything. The ones we have been buying are heavy wt blue and all plastic buckle up, with no velcro, pretty pricey at $200 aussie dollars. I was at a tree falling course 6mths back and the ones we had went on the quickest and easiest, the instructor had the same type.

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to safety, comfort and ease of use. If they arn't comfortable they add to fatigue( in saying that the heavy wt do get hot down here in summer), if they arn't easy to use then they probably won't get worn all the times they should.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Maineloggerkid

I think alot of it is preference, but the labonville are top notch. I have used that and HUsqvarna chaps, and find both work quite well.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

beenthere

Our good sponsor Bailey's (see on the left column) has a good assortment of chaps.

Main thing, is to not saw without them, and I also find they make walking through the sticker brush in the woods much more comfortable on the legs, as well as when splitting firewood and manhandling bolts to be split.

Welcome to the forum here swtfsh.

How is that pronounced??   ::) ::) ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I have a pair of Labonville chaps.I guess they work OK.Never had a chance to try them out to see if they really stop the chain.    ;)  No matter where you get them make sure you get the correct length. Where are you from? Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Glenn

Why not buy actual cutting pants? This way you always have them on when you need them.  I like the nylon type in the winter because the snow doesn't stick to them. 

Maineloggerkid

I have a pair of saw pants as well as chaps, and I choose which to wear based on weather and tempurature. Also, if I am running skidder, I will wear the chaps, but if I am just cutting, I will wear pants.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timber tramp

Welcome, If you search in the Health and Safety section you might find the info you're looking for. Beenthere said it all in one sentence, "Main thing, is to not saw without them". ;) You can't leave your PPE in the truck and expect it to help in the event of an accident. :)  TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

swtfsh

Quote from: Glenn on January 11, 2009, 07:15:55 AM
Why not buy actual cutting pants? This way you always have them on when you need them.  I like the nylon type in the winter because the snow doesn't stick to them. 

I live in my carhardt flannel-lined pants when I'm outside in winter; chaps'll go over 'em.

stonebroke

If you like flannel lined pants you will love insulated jeans. By Wrangler.

Stonebroke

cheyenne

If it wasn't for Carharts & chaps I'd only be 3 ft. tall. Now when will I get smart and wear one of helmets Effie bought me.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

thecfarm

When something wacks you on top of the head.   :D   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cheyenne

That be Effie.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

WOJO

I bought my brother a pair of chaps from Labonville for Christmas. The lady that I spoke with was very helpfull and the shipping was really fast. They were great to deal with and they sell a quality product.
NE 346XP 18" bar, 372 XP 20" bar, 390 XP 24"bar

beenthere

We have a Forum Sponsor who sells chaps.  Support our sponsors, as they help pay the bills.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cadenhill

I started wearing Labonville chaps this past year and gave my son and son in law each a pair for Christmas. Purchased them through Madsen's whom I do a lot of business with. I guess you can buy them direct from Labonville. Never had another brand to compare but I really like these so far.
Cadenhill Farm- 11 Husky's-1 Stihl

Tim L

I know Husky chaps work. I bought a pair for myself and my brother-in-law and he got to see his in action. It looked like uncooked spahgetti sticking out of his leg and he looked like Casper. Not a mark on his leg though, the chaps stopped his saw dead.
Do the best you can and don't look back

capt n cutz

I prefer the pants.  The straps on the chaps are just way to dangerous if your working in the brush!
So...You want to be a Logger? eh!

TessiersFarm

I have many things from labonville and all that I have are top notch.  I prefer the chaps over the pants although I wear the nylon pants without the kevlar pads most of the time during the winter.  They have top quality merchandise and good customer service at a reasonable price. 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Thank You Sponsors!