iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many bands have you broke?

Started by hackberry jake, March 02, 2012, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat olde elf

Eventually, all of them.  Lots of variables including operater error.  Cost of doing business,  Not a big deal after the very first one.  Couldn't believe the thing broke !  Say your prayers....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

redbeard

The worst band breakage is when they curl back up in the wheel covers and chew up the belts, usually happens when dont stop the feed speed soon enough. Those are the most memorable.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Most, not all.  I've got about 15 that are sharpened down to 1" and get retired then.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: ladylake on March 03, 2012, 05:49:30 AM

Most, not all.  I've got about 15 that are sharpened down to 1" and get retired then.    Steve

I dont stop sharpening and reusing till they break. Using 045s X1.5 inch 10*. most give me 7 to 10 cycles. Have had a few do 12. have had 1 break right out of the box at the weld and a second one that isnt broke but darn close again on the weld. Caught it on the sharpener so it did NOT go back on the mill.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

As ladylake stated above, using bands 1" or less really has diminishing returns.  The teeth are starting to contact the roller guides which will tend to remove the set from the teeth.  WM will reject those bands as being too narrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

starting at 1.5 the narrowest I have right now is one that is down to 1.21 by my caliper. I expect it will break this cycle. I dont think i have ever got one narrower. This one is sharp cycle number 11. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

customsawyer

I lost count a long time ago. I know it is in the hundreds might even be the thousands. I usually buy my blades from WM 100+ at a time as if you are dealing with that number of blades they will pay shipping one way. Another thing if you order over a hundred blades they put them on a pallet and ship them by truck which makes it a lot easier to unload if you have forks. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!