Sponsors:

Cutting hollow trees

Started by Good Feller, July 12, 2008, 10:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt601

5 lbs of Tannerite works good too!!!! 

No matter where you go there you are!!!

DelawhereJoe

I think the neighbors may complain about that, the trees 150 yards from there houses. I'm thinking about a very shallow notch, a ratchet strap and lots of prayers.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

John Mc

Is the wood in the shell sound, or is it starting to go as well? Most of the steering the hinge does in guiding the tree is done by the outside edges of the hinge. In fact, one of the tricks to felling a tree more than twice your bar length in diameter  is to cut your notch, then bore in through the center of the notch to sweep out the center of the tree. The intact fibers you have left after this process would be similar to what is in a hollow tree.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DelawhereJoe

There is about 4-5" let on the on the small side and 6-7 or so on the big side of about a 18 or 19" tree. It needs to fall the way of the small side because thats the way the branches and lean go also there is space for it to fall that way. Its a red maple I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow if available.

petefrom bearswamp

I have a 28" beech just below my house which has a rind of about 3" all around.
I have left it since we moved here in 1994 and the old sucker is still standing.
I have thought many times about felling it, but cant bring myself to do it.
I think that it is a tribute of all things very old and decrepit,.
Me included, we not only stand we endure.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

luvmexfood

To me it seems like hollow trees have a mind of there own. At least the ones that show no outward signs of being hollow. They can go about any way they want to.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

DelawhereJoe

I think my tree will do one of 2 things; A:fold in on itself  taking my bar/saw with it....hopefully not me with it or B: barber chair as its whole center and sides are missing from the ground up to about 8'.

tawilson

If the remaining wood isn't strong enough to support the weight of the tree it might just pinch your bar somewhere during the backcut.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Thank You Sponsors!