iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Stihl Saw ?

Started by MTK, January 19, 2005, 06:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTK

I am planning to buy new saw in next few months,I have looked at 260 / 270c & 280.Some of the posts here have been
very helpful,as I see lot of good things said about the 260.I cut
fair amount of wood for my outdoor stove and around the farm.
Thank for you're thoughts.   :-/

tshanefreeman

It really depends what you are going to be cutting and to what degree.  Are you a hobby firewood harvester or a new up and coming forester?

All three of these saws are great.  I would personally go for the MS270.  It is a great power/weight/cost combination.  But for a little extra cash upfront, you can step up to the MS280 which has 0.3HP more and weighs the same (keeping in mind that the bar length would have to be the same).  But ultimately it is up to the user!

If your new saw is going to be for bucking firewood, then I think you have choosen a good range to research.  I'm an arborist and have MS019T, MS200T, MS270, MS460 Arctic, and a Husky 50 and 351.  Some people think that the bigger the better, well after an hour of hauling my MS460 through the bush, anyone would wish to have a midsized saw!
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

MTK

I am using it for cutting firewood,a buddy of mine has the 260
and is very pleased with it,that is how I ended up looking in this range.The fella's over on yesterdaystractors suggested I ask you guys for input.      Thanks a lot

Garry

My choice would be MS440 0r 460. When you run into knotty burly oak & maple, wich you will, these saws really do the job. 8)

tshanefreeman

You're right the you can't beat that extra power, but depending on what the user is going to be cutting, he/she could easily overkill their needs.  If the user is only going to cut 12" wood on average or smaller, then an MS270 or MS280 is just fine.  Power is great but a sharp chain goes a really long way!
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

leweee

Amen... to sharp chain & a lite saw 8) 8) 8)

ps.026 artic the preferred weapon of choice ;D sermon over!
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rangerbob

Have you considered looking at the Stihl 036 / MS360 / MS361? It fits in right between the 026 and the 046 ( both of which I have run and love to death ). I typically use the 046 for felling and large bucking while the 026 is mostly limbing and bucking.

tony_marks

a friend of mine here sells firewod.. hes really tickled with his 280.. me id prefer the 036 or 361 ..a very versatile multipurpose saw..jmo  amen to that chain being rite.. a properly sharpened chain an good cut setup can make any good saw, look super..
notice i said good saw.lol   jmo

jokers

Hi MTK,

If you can stretch your saw budget a little more, you can get an ms361. Way more saw in every positive respect than the ms270/280. Then you will have a "do it all" saw that is light enough for all day firewooding but powerful enough to run a bigger bar when needed.

Let it suffice to say that I have a boatload of saws, including ms260/026s, an ms280, an 036 and two ms361s. I don`t consider the 280 to be superior or even on par with the other Stihls except in anti vibe where it is similar to the 361 but actually much softer. Not a great feel IMO, although it`s no doubt a better product than a Poulan or other homeowner saw.

Russ

davefrommd

How about a stihl 029 farm boss as advertised in the mid range. My first stihl saw was a farm boss. I felt as though it wasn't to small and wasn't to big. A very nice chain saw. dave

RacinRex

I have a Husky 35, 55, XP272 and a Stihl MS460 Arctic. The Husky's are all good saws but when I'm planning on really gettin work done I grab that 460. I do have to admit that I'm 6'0" and 240lbs and once in a while I have to take a rest with that 460 but it cuts so nice you can afford a rest.

Most of my cutting is firewood for my parents and in-laws and felling/limbing/bucking for my band mill. I probably cut about 10-12 days a month in the spring and fall and maybe 4 a month winter with very little in the summer as I'm usually building something for myself or family members.

Different saws work different for different people. I know when I went to get my Stihl (about 2 yrs ago) my Dad came along and we spent a solid two hours out behind the shop handling, starting, and testing saws. Walked away with the 460 because of how it impressed my Father actually. He's 61 and he doesn't like to cut with it all day but if he's getting just one load of wood he doesn't hesitate to pick up that 460 on the way through my garage. My brother won't touch it because he really hasn't run a saw much and it scares him. Mostly preference.

If you have run a saw before, taken a course in saw saftey and ever found yourself impatiently waiting for the wood to just break. And don't forget to be in relatively good shape.....

Get a full size saw and whistle while you work!!!!!
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

MTK

I appreciate the advice given so far,it helps to get input from
people that make a living running them saws day in day out and the serious wood cutters.A lot of you're comments carry
more weight with me,as to some of these salesmen telling you what you should buy.    

SasquatchMan

I have a MS290 for firewood, and I'm totally pleased with the beast.  It's a tiny bit stronger than a 280, but the big difference is the anti-vibe setup.  The 270/280 are just super smooth.  For all day use, I'd go to the 280 I think.  I'm pretty pooped out from the 13 lb 290, and it's a rough ride to boot!  

One thing I tend not to agree with is the "get a great big saw in case you ever need it"... well, if you don't need it, you are hauling extra weight.   These guys all cut for a living, and if you are cutting firewood to sell, buy at least a MS361.  But if it's just hobby/maintenance/heat purposes, a smaller (and cheaper and lighter) saw will do fine.

I love my 290. Is it perfect?  No.  Would I buy it again?  Yeah, probably I would, but I'd really have to look at the 280 too.  I woulda bought the 280 but the 290 was hundreds of bucks cheaper when I bought.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Garry

RacinRex, Think you are right on. I am 63 years old and just finished cutting 50 tons of hard firewood,had Husky 365 and Stihl MS460 I found myself using the Stihl most of the time.
The saw will do the work for you.We are only looking at 3Lbs or so dif. in saws and I figure if  i can;t lift 15 Lbs, maybe I should;nt be cutting wood.

Thank You Sponsors!