iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lessons learned over the weekend

Started by bioguy, March 28, 2005, 02:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioguy

When I joined up a few weeks ago, someone welcomed me with the invitation to share as I learned. Being a new mill owner with no experience, I have a lot to learn. Here's what I picked up over the past weekend...

The idle on my WM 25 was too slow, so I adjusted the brake strap to increase it a little. Took about a half inch of movement on the strap to get it right. Had to adjust the drive belt tension also. Now I can stop the blade when I return. Big improvement.

Noticed that one of the roller guides did not spin as freely as the other one, so I ordered two rebuild kits and installed them. Thanks for the advice Tom, it went together easily like you said. When I put the rollers back on the mill, however, they would hardly turn. Too tight. A quick call to the WM help line solved the problem. I only need to tighten the nylon lock nuts enough to prevent end play (in and out on the shaft). After a little sawing, I only had to tweak them a little. I also replaced the worn-down middle throat screw. I think that was why I had broken two blades the last time I sawed.

So, we started making sawdust and cutting out some 4x4's for stacking new boards on. Noticed that there was a ridge across the board every inch or so, and that there was a tendency for the blade to rise and dip as it went thru the cant. Replaced the blade with a brand new one, and that stopped both problems. I guess when the blade just kissed the top of that log stop the last time it knocked a tooth or two (or more?) out of whack.

Also found out that you do need to clamp every cant in place, even the big heavy ones will shift. This is not a good thing when you are in the middle of a cut! Luckily we did no damage, solved the problem and continued cutiing with no more excitement.

I know for you old-timers these things are old hat, but like I told my boys - if we pay attention we might learn a few things.

Oh, spring arrived last Saturday here in southern Michigan... the frogs started singing.

Dave
bioguy

RacinRex

and much more fun and sawdust to come my friend. When I'm not sawing I'm sitting at my desk working on PC's thinking about sawing. I know guys that would stand in line to kill for my job and all I want to do is go make some sticks. I'm assuming you were working in some nice evergreen of somesort when you saw the waves... get used to it... Change blades often and keep em clean... Good on!!! and have yourself a ton of fun sawing.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Tom

Check that blade that was leaving the streak on the boards.  It might be that you hit a nail in the log.  You will probably see a little curl of metal on the face of several teeth, if that was the case.  Removing these little curls may be enough to get you back to an acceptable cut.  Check that blade and see if you can't get a little more life out of it.

Missing teeth are bad, if there are a bunch.  Two or three and you can still use the blade for your own sawing.  4x4 posts are a good use for damaged blades.  More than two or three teeth in a row missing will give you vibration and impact problems that will cause undue wear and tear on guides and bearings.  (Rocks in the bark can damage a tooth and you might not be able to see the damage)

Experience will show how tight to clamp. 

You did good adjusting the idle with the brake.  You would be surprised how many WM owners don't know to do that. :)

Ain't sawing wonderful? :D

Thank You Sponsors!