iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart Pine   ( viewer discretion advised)

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 13, 2003, 03:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

That was one fine piece of Journalism, Tom.
   Diz, we had a wavy piece of that log settin in the shop when the customer came to pick up his 2 boards. He spotted it and said, "that's mine too, right"??? Ed let him have it. >:( >:(  The DEAL was, I want 2 boards ::) ::)
  BUT, we have some at the camp. I will send ya a stick, BUT, I AIN'T cuttin it  ;D ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Thanks for the excellent post Tom. I had read about Heart Pine but was never sure just exactly what it was and why it commanded such high prices. Pine around here is real junky wood and is very seldom used. We have very little of it that grows here as we don't seem to have the right climate for it.

What kind of prices does it bring down there for say 4quarters a bd ft. Probably can't afford to do it but I think it would look great in my den as flooring.

Fla._Deadheader

Norm, we sell it for $4.00 bd/ft, air dried to 12% and rough sawn. Dressed 4 sides with t&g will start at $6.00 and go to 9.50 bd/ft. That's for 4" nominal width.

A 12" board can go as high as $23.10 bd/ft. That is ROUGH sawn FAS, Select is $16.99 for the same size.???

Want to see finished stuff, go to www.heartpine.com. There are old photos there, also, of some of the Cypress we are trying to find. BIG stuff  :o
  DanG, now I gotta figger how to post a link  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

They must make some bucks Harold. That looks like about a 10,000 dollar website.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodhaven

Jeff,
I don't mean to offend anyone about my swamp remarks.
It's just that FDH is always making remarks about
the swamp and his alligators. To me it"s memories
of my growing up years. I take great pride in growing
up on the banks of what is now considered one of the
countrys natural wonders. "THE GREAT DISMAL SWAMP".
As a boy for fun in the daytime we would swing from
the vines in the swamp as big around as your leg
thinking I was Tarzan and at night sit on the front
porch and listen to the bears eating corn in the feild.
I didn't find out untill moving to town in my teens
that a rug rat was your kids I was always called a
swamp rat. Even now in latter years when looking for
property to build on when I found what I wanted the back
property line is on a swamp. And so I am right at home.
Maybe now you can see why I make swamp remarks so easy.
It sure means no disrespect just the opposite it's my roots.
We also have a few alligators in there along with about
every plant, fish, bird, animal, tree oh well you name
it and it's in that swamp. Things have changed through
the years. It now has roads and paths for the tourist.
That "SWAMP" is one of the most beautiful places you could
ever visit if you want to see one of everything in the same
day. I notice that FDH speaks of alligators getting in
someones yard well around here it's mostly bears from
the swamp. Animal control is forever having to tranqualize
a bear in someones yard tree to carry him back to the swamp.
These guys will walk out of the swamp and right into a fully
residential neighborhood.

So yea,
I can say what I want about the swamp. Thats where I came from.
Richard

Jeff

Tom

what do you call that where the cabin is?  I thought everybody had a swamp. :-/ :D

Jeff

Its not a swamp. Tag alder swamps dont count. Cedar swamps do. :)

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm not sure I would want to live in a swamp,  but I sure miss Pogo :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

That's the Okeefenokee, Noble.  Pogo still exists.  We just don't make  him get out in the world to make a living anymore so you don't hear about  him. :D

woodhaven

If you guys want to see some pretty stuff. Just do a search for  THE GREAT DISMAL SWAMP and look at some of the pictures you will find.
                         Swamp Rat
Richard

Tom

Yep, my Grandparents always liked the Dismal.  When we were traveling that far up north they would slow down and we would take note of where we were. and look at the scenery.  This was usually accompanied by an overly repeated dissertation on Francis Marion too. :D

dail_h

Hey Woodhaven,
   Which side of the swamp you on?I'm southeast,we most neighbors i spose.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodhaven

Yea Dail,
I talked to you a while back. I am just North of the Va. Line we are only about 50 miles apart.
Richard

woodhaven

Dail, Tom, FDH & Me
We all need to button down the hatches it looks like with that Storm hidding this way. 160 mph wind today.
Richard

Jeff

Yikes!  Keep us informed. Better yet come on up for a vacation and get away from the ole girl. We'll be here til saturday!

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like Tom and I will be fine, but, all y'all along the Carolina Coast and North, better start packing .  ::) ::) Stay alert and be safe. Good Luck ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

Thanks Jeff,
Leave your back door open. Just in case.
Richard

Den Socling

Fla_D,

I knew that, if you sent the professor over here, he was going to find you all flawed!  :D

den

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl?read=286544

Jeff

Fla._Deadheader

Den, will I never learn ::) ::) The great Dr. straightened Tom out a while back, too. Seems us Dummies over here Don'T know squat  :o :o
   Heavy Pitch deposits??? ???  In the whole DanG tree ??? ???
   Someday, we gotta take the great DR. out behind the wood shed. I thought that I showed a good example of extreme Heart Pine. Tom did a great dissertation on the Heart Pine as a whole. What are we missing ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) Maybe he didn't read the WHOLE title ::) ::)
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

FD,
You ain't missing nothing but that bird is..I think he responds to post just to disagree. Doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. I hardly ever go there just because of him. Really gets under my skin.
Richard

Tom

I don't feel confused :-/

Actually, he's right. Heart pine has nothing to do with the amount of pitch in it.  But, the reality is that there is pitch in Heart pine.  Sometimes there is a lot of pitch. ::)

One line, very specific, point blank answers may be accurate but they don't give anyone a broad picture of what the situation may be.  Nor do they encourage conversation, nor do they provide the opportunity for anyone to broaden their horizons.

It's also a fact that the Twin Towers fell down on Sept. 11th, two years ago.  A fellow that doesn't want to be wrong can stop there.  A fellow that would like to describe what happened may mention the Pentagon, even though it had nothing to do with the Twin Towers.  There were also planes involved and hi-jackers who were terrorists and terrorist organizations and Afghanistan and fire and heat and corruption of steel  and lots of other things that make the reader more aware and make the story more interesting.  

Neither is wrong, but the second is more enlightening.

I hate it when I ask my wife, "what's for supper?" And, she says, "food".

Dr. Gene is no idiot.  I've learned a fair amount from his posts in the past.  I've even studied in other places to make sure that I understood what he said. Sometimes I've felt he wasn't right  To most of his answers I want to ask "why". The difference in there and here is that he could feel free to write a book here if wanted and satisfy the "whys" and encourage the readers to get involved and learn without their having to pry for the information.

The good thing about the Forestry Forum is that the intimidation has been removed and members here feel comfortable in expressing their beliefs, right or wrong, without being put down.  Not to say that there won't be a discussion and that there won't be a disagreement, but there has been no put-down to my knowledge.  I've know folks that can stop a conversation with two or three words because they don't leave it open for discussion.  Hopefully, not here.

As a matter of fact, most of the really argumentative confrontations here can take place on our Instant Message system where folks get a chance to cool down before they make their statements public.  That's cool, isn't it?

Paul_H

I thought that the Docs reply was thinly veiled pitchiness. >:(
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

woodbeard

So, Deadheader, if you market this wood, will you need a sales pitch or pitch sales? ::)

Thank You Sponsors!