iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lopet's rig

Started by dustintheblood, February 08, 2017, 07:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

Just remembered about Lopet's very cool do-it-all logging rig.  If he happens to be by here, it would be great to hear how it's working out.  I'm particularily curious about how it runs in the winter snow (although there hasn't been much)
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

lopet

Thanks for asking Dustin.  Well, it's not making me any money right now, but not because it's broke, It's because the operator is dealing with some health issues. Going on for a few years now and we haven't gotten to the roots of the problems yet. >:(
I have been using it the second year now and last fall I only pulled about 80 cords and since then it's parked in the shed. Had to fix some hydraulic leaks and to replace a couple of hoses, but other than that I am pretty happy with it. There is still a few things I would like to improve . One major thing is that the clutch is very hard to put in and my knee isn't taking it anymore. I tried different things with springs and with a door opener. You know, one of those things which hold the door open on a tractor cab. It's working better now, but still not quite the way I want it. The front and rear blade are kinda slow, either the pump is too small or worn out. The boom is driven by a separate crank driven pump and is very fast and powerful . It was added to a later point in its live and because of lack of space they  put all twelve functions on one joystick, sometimes a little much for a old guy. :D :D
Unfortunately I did not take anymore pictures last fall because my camera is toast.
I really love that dual drum remote controlled winch, which works really slick when you do a lot of small diameter wood like me. Maybe I get to do  video some day.
As you know with a "do it all machine" you always have to compromise some where. In my case it's the boom. I found that as much it's handy to pick up a lost stick on the trail or at the landing, or feeding brush fires, as much it gets in way when you are in the bush, because you always have to watch it when the tail swings out or you have to watch all the hoses on top of it. Also visibility is limited for winching out of the cab.  You can't have it all. ;)
If I ever get my health and my motivation back, i would like to fix my C5 and mount the boom where the old winch is and maybe have a big clamp behind, so I can place a bunch of smaller sticks in the clamp and process them at the landing .  Just dreeeeeaaaaming.  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!