iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anybody mounted a laser on a swingblade mill?

Started by scsmith42, February 16, 2006, 08:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I have a Peterson WPF enroute and plan to cut some very long and large beams for timber frame applications.  (40' to 60' range)

Reading some of the posts on this forum reveals that the Woodmizer owners are really enthusiastic about the laser option, and I'm wondering if any swingblade owners (especially Peterson WPF) have experimented with this concept.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Captain

Although it may be a neat feature, I can give you a few methods to work without a laser.  It is easy to apace off the rails with a Peavey when you move the log into place.  Lining up for the next cut is done with a mark installed on vertical blade guard locating the blade position...so the laser is not necessary.

I've also had concerns about using them in the sunlight, I've not seen many in my price range that would work well when outside in the bright sunshine.

Captain

woodsteach

I was getting ready to post the same question except for my Brand X,  I had Jay put the lazer mount on but have yet sprung for the laser.  One of the laser companies I called said what Captain said about high cost for a laser for outside visiblilty.  Now that I have my mill inside I'm looking for a laser again to speed things up but don't know what kind/color to get.  I'll keep you posted as the months go by as to what laser I get.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!