iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

L53 aux heater by Nyle help

Started by Bnewman712, May 30, 2018, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnewman712

I got the l53 aux heater so I can set pitch in my kiln.. it came with control box and fan/heater. It is 220v but has no wires or instructions on how to wire or set up. Any one have one or can help with this. I called Nyle and could not get anyone but one time and they said they were not sure and never got called back. 

K-Guy

Hi
I'll be glad to help you. I'm Stan from Nyle and help with service and install issues. You can reach me at 800-777-6953 ext 212. If you don't get through leave me a message and I'll call you back
Thanks
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Joey Grimes

My l53 aux heater came in last week so any advice would be appreciated. I plan on installing in the next few weeks
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Joey Grimes

I got my auxiliary heater installation completed this morning.Stan with Nyle was very helpful talking me through the wiring.My chamber is on the large side for the l53 so it will help with the sterilizing of hardwood and setting the pitch in pine .While testing it took 2 hours to go from 80 to 140 so I shouldn't have any more trouble getting enough heat .As far as setting pitch in pine I've heard a lot of different opinions on temperatures required is 150 enough and how long?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Setting the pitch involves evaporating the pitch or sap components that would be liquid or would be soft at room temperature.  The hotter that you go when setting the pitch, the more pitch that will be evaporated and the harder the remaining pitch will be at room temperature and a little hotter.  

The original suggestion was 180 F for 24 hours for 2" stock.  I suggest that 160 F can be used but that 48 hours minimum should be used.  At 160 F treatment, it is indeed possible that some of the remaining pitch will soften at 100 F; 100 F could occur when the wood is exposed to sunlight, near a heater, etc.  So, 180 F is indeed more effective.  Indeed, 150 F is pretty risky...better than nothing, but likely that some pitch issues could occur when the wood is heated even a little bit.

Note that setting the pitch at hotter temperatures also helps to avoid loading sandpaper (clogging it when there is heat generated), avoid deposits on machining tools (including saws and knives) due to heating, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!