iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Addition to the Lineup

Started by Corley5, July 02, 2020, 10:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

This TC40D New Holland moved into its new home at Whittaker Farms today.  Used it a bit tonight with the 7' finish mower.  It's pretty nice.  A big step up from the H Farmall ;) :D ;D :)  Need to buy some rattle cans and adjust the color on the bucket ;) ;D

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sedgehammer

Sweet. Details, details, details....... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

Corley5

It's a 2003, 40 engine hp with HST tranny, Super Steer, and had 1275 hours on the clock when it arrived today.  It's got a new oil cooler, PTO switch, starter, and seat.  We put a new battery on it today.  The old one was ten years old and that's how long it took the wrong battery to shift around and wear a hole in the oil cooler.  Two trips to Car Quest and we got it figured out and got the bigger battery secured in place with an after market hold down and a little welding.  Better than OEM.  There's still a loose connection or bad ground somewhere, maybe the new starter solenoid is bad.  It takes several turns of the key to get the starter to engage sometimes.  Other times it starts instantly.  Something for further investigation.  The cruise control doesn't work.  Research says the magnet and sensor fail.  I need a service manual.  The previous owners used it for snow removal and mowing a little grass for the 7 years they had it.  It had 500 hours on it when they got it from the wife's boss.  They weren't even aware of the cruise control feature.  The platform sections under the floor mats need to be taken off, wire wheeled and painted.  Salt has worked on them but they're not rotted. 
  I've been looking for a machine for a while now.  We almost bought a Bobcat 853H on Monday.  Older machine but low houred and very tight.  Glad the dealer didn't call me back after our meeting.  I'd have bought it then but he had to talk to his siblings in the business about our offer which was more than fair for a 25 year old machine.  Oh well.  Their loss. 
  I'd seen this machine on CL and FB Marketplace, had looked at the pics but hadn't really considered it.  It was advertised with a 6' snow blower and pallet forks.  Went to an auction last weekend to look at a 4610 JD like 400 other people did.  No auction pricing at that sale.  Then there was the Bobcat and back to this tractor.  It was gone from CL but still on FB so I got a hold of the seller and we went for a look.  Made the deal minus the blower and forks.  We don't need a snow blower and the forks were pretty light and we've got forks anyway.
  The bucket is a brand new Kubota complete with tags and stickers.  They'd worn the original's  non-replaceable cutting edge out scraping ice off the concrete in their driveway.  They wanted a replaceable edge.  Then they decided they wanted a new tractor with a cab and there's a new Kubota in their garage.    

farmfromkansas

You went from an antique H to this thing?  I have an antique super H, but have not started it in a few years. Amazing the change in technology over the last 80 years.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

Nice!! I have a TC40A. I see you have steps on each side of yours. Like the real tires too. I bought mine with 800 hours on it,8 years old!!! I added some hours to it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

We used the 1941 H to mow with last year after adding a 3pt hitch.  There are other tractors here but nothing newer than 1960s technology.  The last two mower tractors were a 2010 JD row crop and a 400 Case.  Both sent away before rebuilds were necessary.  This joins a Bobcat 753 skid steer and a 544H JD wheel loader in the active lineup.  

Sedgehammer

We've been looking fir a tractor, but like you the online auctions are stupid high. Nun my business, but may I ask what you paid? Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ron Wenrich

I have a TC35D.  I bought it with 200 hrs on it.  Now at 650 hr.  I use it for mowing, dragging my lane, snow blowing, mulching, and just hauling stuff around (firewood).  I had an older Farmall which was pretty much a beat machine, but all I could afford at the time.  

I haven't had too many problems.  I do have problems with the battery connection at times.  Clean the posts and then good to go.  The cruise control has given out.  The glow plugs don't work.  I haven't had any problems starting in cold weather, even down to about 0°.

I bought mine from a local equipment dealer.  Probably about 15 yrs ago.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I've been warned by a local tractor mechanic, former head mechanic at the local NH, Kubota dealership to be careful lifting stuff with the loader.  They're rated for 2,000lbs but will lift more.  More muscle than bone.  He's seen 3 break at the bell housings and one at the front of the engine.  One of those operators was loading BIG logs on a Woodmizer.  The other was moving junk cars.

Corley5

The belt on the finish mower gave up yesterday morning so I played with the loader a bit.  Dug around in a gravel pile and it didn't take anytime to confirm what I already knew.  It needs weight either fluid in the rear tires or iron on the wheels.  Gonna check this morning to see if a set of Farmall A wheel weights might work.  That would be too easy.  After playing in the dirt I pushed the sawdust away from the firewood processor's house.  It works. After years of using left hand reversers the direction pedals will take some getting used to.

btulloh

Nice looking tractor.  A couple more conveniences over an H.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use out of it.

I'd recommend getting the tires loaded.  Even with wheel weights, you'll probably want/need more weight.  I have loaded tires and I always have a counter weight on the back when doing anything significant with bucket.  The new stuff they load tires with now doesn't eat your rims like calcium did, so there's no downside.

Enjoy your new tractor!!
HM126

Corley5

It's a whole lot easier getting on and off this than the wheel loader or Bobcat ;) ;D

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Larry

Thirty years ago I bought a 1720 which I think was the predecessor to what you brought home.   Shibaura engine, maybe they made the whole tractor.  My tractor only had 200 hours and I bought it really cheap.  My intention was to flip fast and pocket a couple grand.  At the time I didn't need another tractor having two 100 horse John Deere's and a Oliver chore tractor.  The big tractors are long gone and I still have the little 1720.

I can't think of a better tractor its size.  Has almost 4,000 hours now, looks really old, sorta like the owner.  Only repair has been one set of glow plugs and I had the injectors cleaned/adjusted at the same time.  It sips fuel, fast, quiet, and easy off and on.  I use it all the time with logs, slabs, and lumber around the sawmill.  Does the mowing and it gets used in the woods quite often.  I only run the forklift for the heavy lifting.

Couple years ago I was thinking maybe a new tractor.  The Kubota dealer brought out a 40 HP something.  Nice machine but it struggled to lift anymore than the old Ford.  I passed. 

I had to weight the rear tires with a full load of calcium plus it has 250 pounds of wheel weights.  Still not enough.  My rims are completely rusted out at the valve stems due to the calcium.  I bought new rims and need to swap, just haven't found the time.  Thinking about windshield wiper fluid for fluid weight but I its not as heavy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on July 04, 2020, 07:17:41 AM
The belt on the finish mower gave up yesterday morning so I played with the loader a bit.  Dug around in a gravel pile and it didn't take anytime to confirm what I already knew.  It needs weight either fluid in the rear tires or iron on the wheels.  Gonna check this morning to see if a set of Farmall A wheel weights might work.  That would be too easy.  After playing in the dirt I pushed the sawdust away from the firewood processor's house.  It works. After years of using left hand reversers the direction pedals will take some getting used to.
On our Kabota we use the backhoe attachment for weight. A Kabota also has more lift than weight behind it. So yeah, get some weight. :) One thing though, we got third party bucket and blade because Kabota equivalent are light metal junk.

Nice little score. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

We had 60+ yards of crushed stone spread on the driveway the last few days and today we hooked up the tractor and the Adams #3 and graded it out.

Had the old quack hog hooked up a few days ago to smooth out the trails across the fields where the bio-sludge was knifed in.

I've been working on a Bush Hog we bought a year ago.  It was absolutely abused by its original owner.  It appears that it was used to mow rock piles.  The blades were so beat and out of balance that it cracked out the top where the gear boxes mount.  I checked out the gear boxes before I bought and they're smooth.  We bought it from the 2nd owner who was going to do what I've done.    I welded the deck where it was separating from the frame, replaced a wheel assembly and have welded up the cracks where the gear boxes mount.  I thought I had pictures of that.  I'm waiting for the two weld plates to be made that will be welded on for reinforcement to bolt the boxes back on.  My neighbor, who also brought us the driveway stone is making them.  I'm not rushing him.  He turned 89 in May.

Looking forward using it.  It's an expensive piece of equipment to buy new.  New blades, blade bolts, tail wheel, welding rod, new bolts to mount the gear boxes and whatever Chuck wants for making the plates and I'm into for way less than new.  It'll go good with Boomer.  The last pic is of the 84" Woods finish mower.  It's been a really good piece of equipment.  It's got a new belt now.   

SwampDonkey

I think I paid CDN $1600 with taxes on a new one 2 years ago. Made in Canada in Ontario. I think they said a Mennonite shop. I haven't much to hog, but still handy. Clutch on it to. I have a rough spot I keep the weeds and dogwoods under control.

Neat old grader. Some stuff is built to keep going as long as some of it isn't wooden. I lot of old machinery here in the bone yard had a lot of wood parts, so long retired. And because dad's uncles weren't much for looking after stuff, fell down around them. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Still tracking down the electrical gremlin.  It's common to these tractors from what I'm reading.  The P.O. replaced the starter, PTO safety switch, and seat switch.  SO I'm fairly sure those aren't the issue currently but they can be in.  I've replaced the battery cables and battery.  Next is checking the Ohms at the neutral switch.  If that checks OK then the ignition switch is next.  General consensus is that NH cheaped out on those.  The contacts in them are weak and break, corrode, and actually melt over time.  New ones are just as cheap and it's recommended to get an after market.  

Corley5

The old grader still has the holders for reins on it 8) 8)

SwampDonkey

And now you have a horse you can step off at quitting time and not have to feed and tend. :D

Walnut Beast

Pretty cool using the grader. How much a ton was it for the rock

Corley5

$200.00 for a 10+ yard load.  I'll ask how many tons are on a load.

Walnut Beast

Last time I got rock it was around 680 bucks for a truck and pup delivered. There is a rock quarry 30 miles away 

Corley5

The quarry is about 20 miles from us in Afton.  Thus we call it Afton Stone.  Used to be a rail road that connected it to the main lines and the harbor in Rogers City.

Corley5

We adjusted the grade after a couple inches of rain.  I worked up the trail in field again to smooth it out more.  The big blue stem will be ready to be cut for hay in a couple weeks.  A friend cuts it for his beef herd.  That JD quack hog was bought new by my Great Great Grandfather James Collins.

trimguy

When I lived at home , many years ago , the township had a grader like that . We used it on our driveway. My stepdad found a much larger one in the woods that somebody had ,so he upgraded. The large one also had steel wheels and I was always the one on the back controlling the blade. Didn't neither one of them have a seat though.

chevytaHOE5674

Good tractors other than electrical issues (more common if they sit outside) and front axles. The front axle under that is good as long as you use it as designed. I've fixed two of them where the owners got carried away thinking it was a dozer and pushing stuff they shouldn't have been and lifting things way to heavy for that size machine. I will warn you that parts get really expensive really fast when things go bad in that front end.

Use it as designed and keep good oil in it and it'll last just fine tho.

Corley5

I just ordered a new ignition switch for it.  I think that's the problem ;) ;D  I read that sometimes the fix was as simple as a shot of penetrating oil into the switch to clean it up and lube it.  That worked for a while then the issue resurfaced.  I shot some electric contact cleaner in to it and it flushed out enough scaly corrosion that I can't imagine the contacts are much good anymore.  Beyond that...
 I can see how the front ends on these could be torn up.  Especially with the Super Steer on a hard surface.

Corley5

Chuck gets 13 ton of crushed limestone on his 10 yard truck.   

SwampDonkey

Quote from: trimguy on July 22, 2020, 07:08:17 PM

Didn't neither one of them have a seat though.
A few of them seats would develop a crack and become a backside pincher. So some was tossed on the iron bone yard I recon. No more a problem than on any old iron with a seat.  ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah those bevel gear driven axles are not the most robust. Just looked up the bill from the last one I fixed and parts alone were 3700 bucks plus my labor on top of that. 

Corley5

It's not a direct replacement for a skid loader by any means ;) ;D :)

chevytaHOE5674

Or in my customers cases not a replacement for a D6 cat or 544 end loader.

Corley5

And that's why I have a 544H ;) ;D

mike_belben

Iooks like you got a heck of a deal on the gravels.  Its $350 a triaxle load here if you got a friend with a triaxle. 22 mile haul or so. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I've done a lot of earth work with a tractor. Never broke noth'n either. But, I don't claim to replace a dozer, where warranted. My tractor bucket is after market and a lot more rugged than something the tractor maker sells ya and has toothed edge on the blade. :)

stavebuyer

When I was doing the dirt work for my house I had a Cat 289D, a JD 450C dozer with 6/way blade, a 30K Hyundai wheel loader. I had to cut pretty deep into the hill behind the house and it was mid summer. Once I got below the topsoil and the clay the subsoil was tough enough to turn the dozer sideways. I finished the cutting with my little toy 23hp hydrostatic NH1520 and a grader box with rippers. Might have been a small bite with the little tractor but it sure impressed me.

SwampDonkey

Graded lots of farm roads with a grader blade behind a tractor. Lots of hydraulics to articulate the blade and add downward force. Also used that blade on the end of potato rows to make short work of weeds in the middle of summer. That was an annual chore. We've even used skidder lots of times to level out field rocks on farm roads to cross wet spots, also used that skidder to level rocks for a 80x50 foot building before pouring concrete. The rocks was all scooped up from piles with a tractor. You can make do with what you have the majority of times. Just don't go hiring it out as a day time job, use earth moving machines. ;)

Corley5

We re-introduced the 8N to the Line up.  It came to live on this farm before I did.  A fellow in town gave it to my father as a high school graduation present in 1965.  It was originally used in the guy's basement waterproofing business in the Detroit Area.  He brought it up here when he retired.  It's been sitting for close to 15 years but inside.  I tore up the ring and pinion and it got parked awaiting repair.  We had a complete rear end from the bell housing back.  We pulled the hoe, loader, split it at the bellhousing, put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing plus had the flywheel turned.  We split the tranny from the replacement rear end in favor of the original because of the Sherman Combination Transmission.  A new radiator, 12v conversion, electronic ignition, spin on oil filter, hoses, belts, gages, thermostat, and we added a temperature gage and installed a new tach.  Plus new brakes, axle seals and a new muffler.  I probably forgot something too.  After all that the engine still needed a valve job.  The seats were bad.  75#s on 1-3 and no lbs on 4.  It's back together and running good.  Dug a hole to bury a roadkill deer in the side yard.  Blew the first hose of many to come on the hoe.  I need to stock up on 1/2" hose and NPT fittings.  Some of the hoses are original.  It still needs a couple things.  The screen in the hydraulic tank needs cleaning.  The chain coupler for the PTO powered backhoe pump needs to be replaced.  I was hoping to bury some electric and water lines with it this fall but the tractor itself took longer and more $$$ than expected and it's time for other projects.  It'll see lots of use next spring including a septic system for the sugar house. 

Walnut Beast

Glad yo got the beast going after sitting for that many years. Bet that's a good feeling 👍

Corley5

Yup, glad to have it back 8) 8)  Maybe winter will hold off for a while so I can use it ;) ;D
  This wasn't the first ring and pinion issue with it.  Years back I tore one up when I was 13 years old.  I was expecting too much of it and didn't know better.  This happened at my parents camp in Da UP.  We didn't have the means there to split it to replace both the ring and pinion.  The ring was missing a couple teeth so we just replaced it.  They're a matched set and should be replaced together.  It worked but was growly ;)  A few years later it came back home to the farm and I was cleaning up some rock piles and fence lines and I did it again.  The mismatched gears didn't help.  We sourced a used ring and pinion set and were told they came from the same tractor and were matched.  When we picked them up and I asked again about them being matched I could tell by the look on the guy's face when he told me they were that they weren't.  The next winter I was loading round bales with it in snow and ice with tire chains on.  Yup, did it again.  That was the last time and it sat ever since.  But during that time we did collect a basket case parts tractor.  The weight of the hoe, tire chains, mismatched gears, aggressive operation ;) ;D.  There's an assortment of loaders on the farm now.  Backhoe work is all it will do.  I assume the gears in the complete rear end we swapped in are matched.  I'm not going to strength test them.  

Corley5

It's lacking power steering ;) ;D  I looked pretty hard at an aftermarket system that gives true hydrostatic steering powered from the loader pump.  The other repairs and improvements ate up the budget before I could pull the trigger on one.  Maybe in the future.
  We plan on this being on the farm for many more years.  My oldest is talking about building a residence :)  So it serves a purpose ;D :)  

Corley5

To finance the work to the 8N I liquidated the Bucyrus Dynahoe and the loader that was on my 300 Farmall.  The Dynahoe had issues with the directional tranny that I didn't want to deal with.  The loader on the 300 was no longer necessary.  
 The 300 was purchased new by my Great Great Uncle Russel Collins.  It's a 1955 with 6700 hours.  The engine has never been touched but is weak now.  Cool old tractor.  It's on my short list for attention.  I added the loader and used it a couple years for round bales.   

Walnut Beast

Very nice members of the family 👍

Thank You Sponsors!