iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frost free hydrant.

Started by Dave Shepard, October 25, 2020, 02:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I figure there are plenty of people on here that have installed a frost free hydrant. I hooked one up yesterday and it won't turn on unless I turn on another hose to bleed off some of the pressure or volume. It's a brand new Prier p260-5. The well pump on this system must be pretty big, as there is plenty of pressure and volume. Has anybody run into this before? Thanks. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gspren

I have 3 that I installed here and never ran into that problem. Does the handle move up and down working the plunger rod? Two of mine start to flow when the handle is half way up and the other not until its nearly vertical. I understand them but can't figure your problem.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

I have installed a bunch of frost free hydrant's over the years and the only ones I have had good luck with are Iowa's Woodford hydrant's. I have some Iowa's on water systems that run 100 PSI and never had problems with them. I have had to go back and dug up a lot of other brands that were having issues. Sorry can't be much help as I haven't installed any thing other than a Iowa in the last twenty years. 

moosehunter

It's probably a backflow valve. I replaced a hydrant valve once because it wouldn't work. New one wouldn't work either. What the DanG??? The house had been replaced with a new one. ( We moved out of a mobile home, sold said mobile home. Mom bought and had a new house installed on same lot) I checked and found a anti back flo valve at the pressure tank. Hydrant was between well and house so only worked while pump was running. 
Hope this helps you, near drove me insane.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

Thank you for the replies. I looked for a check valve of some kind, but didn't see one yesterday. There must be one, as these symptoms and a couple others are explained by there being one somewhere in the system. It's a sort of cobbled emergency arrangement that never got replaced long before we were involved. It's a dormitory that used to house a hundred head of juvenile delinquents. Now it houses a hundred head of hogs and a thousand chickens. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

It's always ends up chickens around here.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Well atleast youre in better company now. 
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Yeah, pigs, chickens, and cows now. Had some trouble getting in the new hay shed, had to make a new door. :D

btulloh

That looks like a shop to me. With a basketball court. 
HM126

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I wanted to use it as a shop, too, but got vetoed. We made the cafeteria into the shop. 

My shop needs a little work, and about 74,800 gallons of fill. That is this falls project. 

btulloh

Nice to acquire a farm with such nice outbuildings. There must be story to go along with that. 
HM126

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don P

With livestock your shop looks like a good start on a methane digester.

Dave Shepard

A friend started a farm raising meat and eggs and needed to start building a farm store and barns when the school came up for sale.  This "reform" school had been vacant for some years and was two miles from his home farm. It came with the dormitories, pool and classroom building, and a number of other buildings, as well as 150 acres of land. The first move was to make the door in the new hay shed, then the dorm rooms were converted to rooms for pigs and chickens. The boys wing and the girls wing were renamed the Chicken Wing and the Hog Leg, and I unofficially call the whole place the Chicken Bacon Ranch.

I'm in the process of developing the pool/classroom building into my timber framing shop. I'm starting with the pool room for my timber work, and will develop other areas as needed. There is a 1200 amp three phase service in the building which I may turn on if I install wood processing equipment. For now, I'm going offgrid. I don't know how much the light bill would be, but I know it's more then I want to pay right now.

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 25, 2020, 09:02:41 PM
Yeah, pigs, chickens, and cows now. Had some trouble getting in the new hay shed, had to make a new door. :D

Dave, are you sure the KoolAidman didn't just bust through that wall?  That kinda looks like his handy work!  ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

K-Guy

That hole in the wall looks like a young driver was practicing!!  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Don P

I am assuming you looked up before blowing thru. We did extensive repairs on that old service station a year or two ago. They knocked out walls wherever it suited their needs over time. I looked up one blowout was under a deep I beam 3 others were load bearing walls. Someone had backed into another wall and the shock carried through the roof beams across to the opposite wall, breaking it. Remove and rebuilds, engineers, welders, special inspections, a wicked spiral. I much prefer sawing and gently removing brittle masonry.

Dave Shepard

Trusses go the other way. End wall is not load bearing.

CUT N RUN

@Dave Shepard , did u fix the water issue ?  it may b an obstruction in the water line., if the valve is operating correctly.

Dave Shepard

It was a plumbing issue. There was a check valve in a strange place. It's working now. 

Thank You Sponsors!