iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DeWalt 20v tool lineup

Started by Ljohnsaw, December 15, 2016, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Not sure if this should be here or over in the Timber Framing section.

When I was first contemplating my timber frame build, I picked up a drill/impact driver set from DeWalt (20v Max).  I've been very happy with it.  Then I picked up a 20v sawsall.  Spectacular.  When I got around to laying my block (FasWall 85% wood/15% Portland), I got tired of firing up my generator to run my Skilsaw worm drive.  So I got the 6½" DeWalt 20v.  FANTASTIC saw.

While killing time online (waiting for new FF posts to appear ;) ), I saw a string trimmer and new 400cfm leaf blower come up on special with a 5amp-hr batter for $249 ($100 off).  Great reviews so I jumped on that deal, waiting for it to arrive.  I figure I can use the blower around the sawmill.

Now, I see some other tools that I think I want.  There is now a 7¼" sliding miter saw with great review ($287 bare).  I think that would round out what I need to build my cabin.  Once I put that in my wish list, another tool pops up.  DeWalt has a 20v planer now (DCP580 $179 bare)!  Not a lot of reviews and not even sure of the cut width (4"?) but someone said it was a cordless version of their stander planer.

Does anyone have a DeWalt planer and care to enlighten me?  Thinking of doing skip planning of my timbers next year.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Picked up my order today.  My name and address were plastered on the boxes so I got what they intended to ship to me.  What a nice surprise!  What I got were too complete kits - that is, a 5amp-hr battery and a high speed charger with each tool.  The complete tool packages run $249-$379 depending on where you go.  So, I got a BOGO deal! 8)

Since I don't need 3 high speed chargers, I might sell off one on eBay or something.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

You can never have too many chargers. This is only some of mine.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

I have that brushless 20v string trimmer, and the 7 1/4 sliding miter saw. I haven't got to use either of them very much, but they have me impressed.
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

I played with my toys this morning.  Home Depot didn't have a way for me to do a review so I put it on Amazon.  They have the bundle for $328 but with one battery and charger.  Here is what they posted from my review:

Hello, my name is John. I'm a DeWalt Junky...

OK, I bought a 20v drill, impact driver, sawsall and flashlight combo 2 years ago for $249 from Lowes. Came with two 1.5 amp-hr batteries, a slow charger and a carry bag. I also bought a pair of 4 amp-hr batteries. Best tools ever. Last spring, I bought the 20v 6-1/2" circular saw kit (5 amp-hr battery, fast charger and hard case). Fantastic tool. So when I saw this deal come up on Home Depot for $249, I jumped on it. The ad stated two bare tools and a 5 amp-hr battery. The Q&A that I looked at after I received my set confirms they are actually shipping two complete tools. Each came with a fast charger and a 5 amp-hr battery. That is like BOGO free!

OK, so for the review.

The blower is high cfm (400) and moderate speed (90 mph). I didn't expect it to out do my Toro corded unit, but it surprised me. I had a layer of small oak leaves that are wet. The 400 cfm was able to move them quite well but the 90 mph was not enough to lift the really stuck down ones. My Toro would struggle moving the pile, but could strip the wet leaves from the ground. The Toro is something like 120 or 140 mph but no cfm rating. On one charge, I was able to fill a 90 gallon toter can, packing it down a bit. Not too shabby. Reviews state that it has a winny jet engine sound and I was a bit concerned about that. My neighbor's corded one has an excruciatingly loud high pitch wine! The sound level of the DeWalt is about 1/4 of what my Toro puts out. No need for ear protection, IMO. The trigger speed control is nice, the trigger lock is not needed and I find it more trouble than its worth. The unit balances on the trigger so you exert little effort to hold it on. Only two improvements - the barrel is a little short (I'm 5-10) so I found myself bending over a little to make it more effective. Another 4-8 inches would be nice. Second improvement would be a snap-on concentrator tip like I have for my Toro. That would make this so much more versatile.

The string trimmer is pretty good. It has a high and low power setting. I was edging long wet grass and had to use the high power. I had made a pass with the low power and it just wasn't getting the job done. This unit is hefty and works reasonably well. It is also quiet. Sort of sounds like a gas trimmer idling when it is running flat out. Again, I have a Toro corded string trimmer - fantastic trimmer, lots of power and light (but too short of a bar). I'd say this DeWalt is a little heavier and about 80% as strong. The bar is really long so no need to stoop or bend. I'll have to check but I think the string rotates in the opposite direction from my Toro - I had to travel the opposite direction around my yard for it to cut well. I had used a bit of the battery blowing my front yard before I put it on the trimmer. I was able to do what was needed before it ran out. I suspect that with a full battery, I could easily do a full "summer" job of trimming on my 3/4 acre. This unit uses .080 line. I bought a big roll of some monster line and adapted (drilled out) my Toro to accept it. My Toro would swing that stuff and take out just about anything. When I use up the line that it came with, I might be adapting my DeWalt as well but I'd hate to void my 3 year warranty.

As far as "Value" - The fact that I got two complete tools with big batteries and chargers for $249 makes me fee like I got a good value, compared to the list prices. However, for what these are, how they are made, what they are made of, I think $125 for a complete tool is about the right price. There is no way I would pay twice or more than that. But, for the money, DeWalt is stepping it up - the units come with a 90 day return and a 3 year warranty, 1 year labor.

My next purchase will likely be the 7-1/4" 20v sliding miter saw. Building a cabin where there is no electricity.

Now if I could just get on DeWalt's review program on Amazon so I could get free tools....
John Sawicky

celliott

Our tapping drills (for tapping maple trees in the winter for maple sap production) are the 20v dewalt brushless motor drills. We have the extended range 5 amp batteries. Can't say enough good about them! We can usually work all day on a full battery charge. They will drill 1,000 holes in hard maple on a single battery, high speed setting. More than that and you are REALLY hustling! And we're out in the cold and snow all day.

I would have to imagine any of the other battery tools would work pretty darn well with that kind of power and longevity.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!