iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Panelling, what do you think?

Started by Dave Shepard, March 27, 2008, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am sawing up some storm damaged white pine. Most of it is up off the ground, but has had a year to blue stain and get eaten by bugs. This pic doesn't really show the colors well, but there some nices blues and purples. Do you think this would make some nice rustic panelling for a cabin? There has been about 20mbf of this stuff through the mill so far, and about 10% has been like this. There's another 10mbf left on this job. I don't know what else it would be good for, other than utility grade boards.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mad dog

If you like a rustic look,it will be fine
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Dave Shepard

Some of these logs are up in what I call prime production size, or about 24" small end. I can take a bunch of 1x6,8,10's off the outside, and be left with a cant that'll make a dozen nice 1x12s with no stain or bug holes. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

Just kill all the critters in them boards, before ya go to nailing  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

Why, they chew through the nails? :D

I think the critters have dined and moved on quite some time ago. I think the wind storm that knocked the trees down was one and a half to two years ago.

Dave

bck

know a guy that built a house and thought the bugs were gone.   Had to build a tent over his house after bugs started coming through the floor.  ( bugs were in subfloor )

ellmoe

What Dan said. ;D  There is a buyer for everything, you just have to find them. Of course, sometimes you need to develop your buyer, they may not know they want your product .  :D Half of the finished pine we sell is blue stained.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Handy Andy

The pine boards at the lumberyards here often have that.  If you put stain on it you can't see it when finished.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

thedeeredude

Dry it, plane it and put a shiplap and bead on it and the yuppies will come. :)

Dave Shepard

:D :D :D

What happens to blue stained pine if it gets nailed up on a fence or as b and b, will it gray uniformly?

Dave

ellmoe

You will not tell any difference after it has greyed.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!