iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on Teak

Started by customsawyer, October 25, 2023, 05:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

you won't get rich from this deal, but maybe you get teak fever and then you buy a boatload of lumber from me  ;)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tule peak timber

Jake, I like working with teak very much. Besides all the boat stuff I've done over the years I have it in my camper and all the countertops in my home. I always use it for customer entry door thresholds, and it holds up very well. I use carbide insert tooling for machining and Smiths Epoxy for glue. Smiths is the go to for teak as it is formulated especially for teak.
  Teak doesn't tend to splinter but when you do catch one in the hand or finger,,,it is memorable. >:( 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

teakwood

:D it's not that bad, we get splinter all the time. but it's a nice wood to work with.

where did you get carbide insert tooling from? i have spent lots of hours looking for insert tooling and didn't find anything good. that's why i use fixed carbide cutters

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=123337.0

tule peak timber

I use Garniga tooling from Rangate Tooling. You can find Rangate on the internet. If you contact them ask for Greg the owner as he is VERY knowledgeable about tooling. He will help you for sure. It is Swiss carbide on Italian mounts, good stuff.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

RichTired

Jake,
   Saw it up, make some outdoor furniture, and sell it to us at your next sawmill project!  8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

longtime lurker

Ive got two sets of Fink insert carbide cutters: 5/27  for pencil round and 5/26 that covers T&G, VJ, and a shiplap type profile.

They're only expensive the first time, I highly recommend them. 

Pagina principale - Frese per Legno Finktools

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

customsawyer

Quote from: teakwood on October 28, 2023, 10:08:30 AM
you won't get rich from this deal, but maybe you get teak fever and then you buy a boatload of lumber from me  ;)

How am I supposed to be able to afford that, if I don't get rich on this deal. :D
All jokes aside I'm going to try to make a deal with the guy. Just going to be a little bit of an expense to get it up here from his place. I'm going to try to put that on him. His easiest way would be to pull that trailer out from where it is at and just put some new tires on it. If I go get it then I have to get all of the DOT stuff and they are the only ones that will make any money on it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

If the guy is coming through Alabama, then have him stop here with his trailer load and I'll let you know how it does. ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

teakwood

I'm waiting on an update for this. Any luck buying it?

customsawyer

Not yet. I'm working on finding a market for it before I start spending money. The other side of me says it's Teak. If you buy it they will come.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

teakwood

Just buy the wood, don't overthink it. it's easy to sell. well, of course it depends on how much the guy think it's worth.

longtime lurker

Here's a look at that Fink 526C tooling with the insert knives.

Rigged for VJ there, I pulled the V knives on the top side for a customer who thinks they want a T&G wall. (Actually by making them either/or it allowed me to not have to centre the tongue and groove to make them a reversible fit, cuz I'm cunning like that) ;D ;D  ;D

Results were acceptable.

As tooling goes this set requires a precision setup of a whole heap of inserts, but the 4 pattern versatility that it gives plus the insert knives make it a winner IMHO.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

customsawyer

I have carbide knives for most everything. Even the 25" knives for top and bottom head in the Pinhero. I have some flooring carbide knives as well. Just don't have the ship lap or V-Groove in carbide yet. Might have to look into that if I do this.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

teakwood

What happened to the deal?

customsawyer

We are still talking. Got put on hold for a bit, I had to complete a land deal and then my grandson came into town for a week. The time with the grandson was time well spent.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!