iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a first lathe project.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 23, 2008, 11:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have been thinking about attempting some lathing. There is a small lathe in the woodshop at work, and while I have been playing around trying to make a new slick handle, I'd like to try making something nice. Any suggestions for a first time woodspinner?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

Here's a little sumpin I been playin with.  ;D ;D ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Radar67

Dave, you could start with an egg, a small bowl, a spindle, or a pawn for a chess set.

FDH, what the heck is it, and how did you do it?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

low_48

A honey dipper is a good first project. A gouge and a parting tool get you something to give the Misses and makes a good start to get a mini lathe at home. I learned all my spindle turning skills making spinning tops. The kind that is lauched into motion with your finger and thumb. Excellent skill builder turning from the large diameter to the small shaft. You won't have any trouble getting rid of them either. Kids of all ages love them. If you start bowl turning, don't start with kiln dried wood. Go to a firewood pile and use a piece of wet wood. You chisels stay sharper longer, and if you get a catch, the wood will usually give instead of flying off. Find a chapter of the Association of American Woodturners near you. I think the website if woodturner.org
There is nothing like watching someone who has a little experience to give you a boost. Many clubs have mentors available to give you some one on one help.

Engineer

Dave,

My first lathe work was in junior high school, I was about 12.   I started out with tool handles.  

Best thing to do is go grab some green hardwood from the firewood pile, maybe birch, maple or cherry, square it up roughly (or use a round) and get used to the feel and the function of the tools.  Without burning through acres of sandpaper, it takes some skill to use the lathe.  All you need are a gouge and skew for spindle work.  Also need to learn how to sharpen tools properly.  I took a class at Woodcraft in Boston, and half the day was learning to sharpen lathe tools.  The other half, we spent with chunks of Home Depot 2x4 spinning up and making cylinders.

If you are inclined to do so, a bowl is easy enough but uses different chisels.  I guess turn whatever appeals to you.  I haven't had my lathe running for almost ten years, but when I do, I plan on spending a LOT of time turning tool handles and bowls.

Dave Shepard

FDH, should I try one of those as a first project? :D Looks like a nice one, whatever it may be. ;) I have been having a tough time with my slick handle, the piece of cherry I'm using has been drying in the barn for ten years, my tools are dullish, and the lathe isn't very robust. :-\ Haven't flung any tools through the ceiling yet though. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

Why not  ??? ???  You can mess that up as easily as a 10 year old slick handle
??? :D :D :D

That is a bowl. It is really thin. It was pretty tricky getting the timing down pat, to form those rises and dips for each section  ::) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Great looking piece Harold, almost obscene looking. :o

I generally start kids out making a mallet. 
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

The first thing I made was a Night Stick. :)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: shopteacher on March 24, 2008, 10:05:29 PM
Great looking piece Harold, almost obscene looking. :o

I generally start kids out making a mallet. 

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that ;).  That bowl is certainly an impressive piece of work, but I think Freud might have a thing or two to say about repressed feelings :D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

shopteacher

FDH has the hide like an alligator, he can take it.   Really though that is an amazing piece of craftsmanship not to mention the problem solving that he had to do to create it.  As far as the obscene it a quality that makes people look with awe and wonder and not necessarily a bad quality to have in a piece of art.
Now don't go inflating your head to much Harold. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

leweee

Harold....that is an amazing piece.....considering the lathe you have to work with. 8)
Dave ....tool handles are great starter projects. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!