iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT40 HD or Super HD?

Started by Finn1903, November 18, 2012, 08:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

no possibility,  it rides on bearings and they are all adjustable, in fact it is part of the alignment procedure.   just loosen 4 nuts and tighten 4 nuts to make the change.  If you think you are going to bend the main tube on a woodmizer by sawing logs, you got another think coming.  You might be able to if you have a really bad accident at high speed on the freeway, but that applies to any mill of any type.  My mill trailers so nice, I hardly know it is back there. 

Keep asking, you don't learn if you don't ask.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

ladylake

Quote from: hunz on January 10, 2015, 11:26:40 PM

Dean herring,
  Not that we are all Wood-Mizer salesmen on the forum, but I'll give you another reason to get one. I just finished sawing close to 5500 bd/ft for a customer this week. He offbeared almost every piece of lumber off of that mill himself. Anyway, he apparently had a portable sawyer at his place a few years back who had a four post mill(he doesn't remember the manufacturer). He made mention how aweful it was to pull lumber from the mill towards the end of the day with the 4 post head having to lean over to grab every board. With the WM bed design being trapezoidal, you don't have to do that. Another plus is that boards can be pulled off before the mill returns back to the front of the mill.... the cantilever design has more positives than negatives going for it for sure!

That can go either way as lots of my customers say to like the way my TK offloads better than the   WM mills they used to have saw their lumber.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hunz

Quote from: ladylake on January 11, 2015, 03:44:17 PM
Quote from: hunz on January 10, 2015, 11:26:40 PM

Dean herring,
  Not that we are all Wood-Mizer salesmen on the forum, but I'll give you another reason to get one. I just finished sawing close to 5500 bd/ft for a customer this week. He offbeared almost every piece of lumber off of that mill himself. Anyway, he apparently had a portable sawyer at his place a few years back who had a four post mill(he doesn't remember the manufacturer). He made mention how aweful it was to pull lumber from the mill towards the end of the day with the 4 post head having to lean over to grab every board. With the WM bed design being trapezoidal, you don't have to do that. Another plus is that boards can be pulled off before the mill returns back to the front of the mill.... the cantilever design has more positives than negatives going for it for sure!

That can go either way as lots of my customers say to like the way my TK offloads better than the   WM mills they used to have saw their lumber.   Steve

Touche',  Notice which design is patented and which isn't. There is no shortage of 4 post mill manufacturers.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Brucer

There is one sawmill make and model that is perfectly suited to your business. Since I don't have a clue what your business is, or how it is set up, I can't tell you what that one make and model is :).

Of course you can go and try out various sawmills (I recommend it), but what are the chances that the owner will have exactly the same business configuration that you will have?

Even when you end up with just the right mill for your operation, what are the chances that you will keep on doing things the same way, year after year?

The fact is, most of the time "close is good enough". And if you find that your business has gone in a completely unexpected direction and your mill is no longer good enough, well then, sell it and buy one that suits you better. I did ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Finn1903

Wow, surprised to see my old post come back up.  Well, since I never ran a 4 poster, I would just have to say what I like about the WM design,
Changing the bands are easy when the mill is near either end based on the trapezoid design. 
The hydraulics have more uses then you can imagine, from turning a log using the claw and clamp, holding flitches that need edging, flipping flitches, pulling logs, loading logs..ect
I don't notice the mill behind the truck and the mill just back so well I probably could parallel park the truck and mill on a busy city street.  I once turned around on a two lane road by backing the mill into a drive way to execute a 3 point turn, granted it was dark and the road was busy.  Sure people had to stop but not long.
I do wish the 40 came with a chain turner instead of the claw turner, but that is what the 50 is for.  WM is good at offering a range of products to jump up to!
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Magicman

Claw vs chain both have advantages as well as disadvantages. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Finn1903

Quote from: Magicman on January 13, 2015, 02:28:17 PM
Claw vs chain both have advantages as well as disadvantages.
Magic, your right, I am sure I would say something bad about the chain turner if I had one.
Hey, the claw turns the log allot easier than my cant hook.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Thank You Sponsors!