iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met Hackberry Jake

Started by dboyt, July 24, 2013, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

It is pretty easy to feel like you know the folks on the forum from their posts, but it is even better to meet them in person!  Last week, I went down to Arkansas to interview Hackberry Jake for an article for Sawmill & Woodlot magazine.  I had a great time.  He built a CNC router from scratch, and has made a lot of modifications on his mill, including an oversized engine and hydraulic log turner-- pretty much pushing his mill to the max  8).  He has sawn just about every kind of wood that grows in his part of the country and is full of ideas-- and the energy and know-how to make them work.  The message here is, never miss a chance to meet a fellow Forestry Forum member in person!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ga Mtn Man

I have met quite a few FF members and they've all been some of the nicest gentlemen you could ask to meet. :)

All the "Jake's" I have ever known have been really interesting and likable fellows...just seems to go with the name.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Larry

He's ok for a short guy. :)

Just a funning...I get a cramp in my neck looking up to talk to em. :D :D :D

And now that I know his mater crop is ready for picking I may have to drop by. ;D  just to help out of course.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Thanks for sharing your visit.  FF folksies are the bestest.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

It was my pleasure to meet dave, he had some very interesting stories and insight. I have my backstops tore apart on my mill because hydraulic pressure keeps breaking stuff. He said "backstops dont take much force, you could even use a hand lever". I have decided to heed his advice. At least with a hand lever I will know when the stop hangs up on a knot and I know I wont break anything. He is a very wise man, one of those people you dont get tired of talking to.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

lyle niemi

Ya would'nt want to meet me cause I'm to cranky..lol

Dave Shepard

Rather than reengineering everything, you could put a pressure relief valve on that curcuit and set the pressure low.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

That Hackberry Jake probably has spiral grain, but then again, I have not met him yet.  Would like to, though, for sure.  I know that he has some nice trees  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 24, 2013, 08:17:37 PM
Rather than reengineering everything, you could put a pressure relief valve on that curcuit and set the pressure low.
I run the whole system around 400 psi. It would have to be a low pressure relief valve. I have considered that. Its hard to believe that the system can handle 3500psi and I can bend/break stuff on 400 psi. I have turned 16' long logs that were 24" on the small end with 400 psi.
Quote from: WDH on July 24, 2013, 09:52:30 PM
That Hackberry Jake probably has spiral grain, but then again, I have not met him yet.  Would like to, though, for sure.  I know that he has some nice trees  :D. 
Sometime when I'm not too busy I would love to come down and help watch you and customsawyer mill up some monsters!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!