iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He missed the house.

Started by Kevin, February 18, 2007, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

beenthere;
When setting the choke on my 066 it starts cold with the chain spinning, I wouldn't want the brake set when that happens but I want the saw secure that's for sure.
I usually try and start that one on the ground when I can.

logwalker;
The idea behind the drop start is that you only have one hand on the saw and the bar is rocking down towards your legs as you start it.
You have less control of the saw as opposed to having it solid on the ground or locked between your legs.
When the pull cord catches it really rocks the saw and it's difficult to hold secure with one hand.

You can start your saw any way you like but it's important for people to know there are other options and the safest method for starting a saw isn't drop starting.

sawguy21

I am a southpaw and developed the bad habit of drop starting by holding the saw with my right hand. Until the day I knicked my pantleg just below a wad of keys in my pocket :o I sat down had a coffee and NEVER did that again.. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jokers

I think that the drop start is a good example of where familiarity can breed complacency, in other words, after having a saw in your hands for several hours a day you may start to lose the initial respect/fear that you had for the moving chain and the damage it can do. Before you even realize it you are drop starting the saw with a loose grip or with a grip that angles the bar toward your leg as you move your left arm downward rather than a grip which forces the potentially moving chain away from any body parts. Let me give you my real world example and keep in mind that I am 46 years old with over 30 years experience using saws with a probable ratio of 5,000 drop starts to 1 of any other type of start that I have ever employed.

Last fall I had a hot 3120 in my hands, jacked up compression and advanced timing, that I have made many cuts with. I had already removed my chaps but I just needed to make one cut to trim a log while a few guys were standing there waiting so I felt like "let`s get `er done!". I grabbed the saw in my left hand, checked the ON switch with my right and went directly to the pull handle and gave it a tug, the same way that I always start that saw. Lucky for me it didn`t start because it spun in my left hand and smacked me hard in my left shin, and let me tell you that hurt!.........but not nearly as much as a spinning chain would have! A couple of guys saw what had happened and they were just as shook up as I was, thankfully my little lesson was graphically shared with them.

Now I`m not saying that I don`t still drop start but I am alot more careful about my grip and the position of the saw relative to my body with the expectation that I am making the saw a dangerours weapon by starting it. I can`t advocate anyone else drop starting a saw which is statistically far more dangerous than a "nutcracker" start but we can all take measures to make a drop start safer.

Phorester

Oh...., a Chevy pickup...., nothing of value damaged then   ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: leweee on February 18, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
nothing makes scrape quicker than a well placed tree. 8)
insurance don't cover acts of stupidity....lets hope he gets a blind adjuster to appraise it. ;D

Awefully hard to get any sleep on the job when stuff comes crashing down. ;D

That's right, we carry'm piggyback up here. ;D

;) :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Of course you didn't drop dat dere tree on dat skidder now did you. :D :D

leweee

dangle_smileyswampdonkey no_no
you been in my photos again :o ::)

that last photo should read" no skidders are not full length forwarders"
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

MDP

That white stake he was trying to hit must have ran over and jumped in the boat, it certainly had enough time.  ;D

Mark

isawlogs

The guy's on TV the other day , where ten feet off the ground on a spring board , chopping away at a tree with an axe .. they would of had time to cut it and shake hands and have a beer , with the time it took him to do the job .  :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

blaze83

Quote from: MDP on February 20, 2007, 01:54:36 AM
That white stake he was trying to hit must have ran over and jumped in the boat, it certainly had enough time.  ;D

Mark,

that is funny...I've got tears running down my cheeks I'm laughing so hard

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Nate Surveyor

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was trying to load the tree into the boat, and then pull it to the mill with the truck!

(ya know how to tell if a poly-tician is lying? 'Is lips are moving!) :D

:)

N
I know less than I used to.

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D You guys are too funny.

Thank You Sponsors!