iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking B 20 Up Down Problem

Started by fstedy, March 05, 2016, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

I just wanted to give you  B 20 owners a heads up on an Up Down Problem I had. Up down was intermittant for a while then it would stop completely but when reversed it would work again. Went thru all the troubleshooting procedures to no avail. Removed motor and disassembled but couldn"t get armature out so I polished the armature put it back on and seemed a little better but it then same problems started. Removed again heated the gear reduction end and finally got it to come off using the jack screws in the flange. The problem was very evident when opened up. One of the  magnets had come loose and was jamming the armature. Cleaned the magnet and case and epoxied it back works great now. Hope this might save somebody a lot of work figuring it out. It was a real odd ball problem but I seem to run into that a lot.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

kelLOGg

Wow! Nice save. I don't have a B20 but I can appreciate the problem and solution. Nice work.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

eireog68

This is a late comment on the topic but i have a b20 and had the same issue i removed the motor cleaned it and discovered that one of the magnets had come loose i had never ever had that happen on any motor ever before even though my mill is old this must have been a flaw in the bonding epoxy but was an easy fix.
Back to Basics with new age tools
If we all had desk jobs who would make the desks
Buy American and give your children job,s
or buy imported and have to support them for life.

Percy

I had the same exact situation on my old lt40. Magnet came loose and it drove me nutz till I tore the motor apart.  Easy fix but hard to troubleshoot.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

killamplanes

Not trying to be smart but on my b20 my up down I took electric motor of and added hydraulic. 3 reasons. With hydraulic I can feather the speed rate, it's not on off, just slow up or fast I wouldn't go back. Also because I went all electric motors so 12v wasn't available anymore, 3 I already had hydros so it was easy to plum, while adding toe boards etc. I was always challenged by the up down electric.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

sandsawmill14

killamplanes do you have any pics of how you did the hyd for the up and down ??? that is my biggest complaint about the mill i sit there waiting on it as much as im sawing seems like :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

killamplanes

I will tommorrow, it's nothing brain surgery, don't remember what the motor come of off really. But it can go real slow or really fast. I really like when cutting 1x you get all the way to bottom next log say 26in, u go up and 3-4 sec ur back in log.  My hoses run forward and back with electrical on carraige.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

killamplanes

Look at my gallery you can kinda see it up there, some modification but really as long as sprocket lines up your golden and built it on a plate so I can adjust chain tension

Larry

Magnets coming loose is a common problem, especially with cheap Chinese motors.  The fix is JB Weld.  It's cheap, easy to get, and the best thing is heat resistant up to 550 degrees.

On this motor one magnet had broken into 4 or 5 pieces and I had a hard time getting it all back in.  It still had rough edges so I put it into the lathe and bored it out till smooth.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sandsawmill14

ok thanks smiley_thumbsup did you use a gearbox or just control it with the flow also how did you tap in to supply your valve  ???

killamplanes

No gear box, I have 7 levers, 1 carraige forward 2 dog, 3 log stops, 4 toe boards 5 chain on log turner 6 chain turner up down 7 head up down of course a dial for carriage frwd speed on side. I have no log loader, well I do but not plumbed or on the mill. I stole that valve for head height or toe board d or somethin

killamplanes

My mill is highly modified, redneck style. Works for me but tk wouldn't let it in there door. Lots of hours 1998 model original owner 6 days a week on it. Gas motors shot went stationary electric. Lots of mods, nothing original. Maybe frame and basic carraige.  I won't let it die. Operates very fast maybe not cut the fastest but as you exit the log probly as fast as any to reenter the log.

sandsawmill14

i had thought about putting a 10 hp hyd pack to the side so i could speed it up a little did you have to make the hyd lines bigger or is it fast enough with the small factory lines ???
i am gonna start a new thread called b20 hydraulic upgrade if you dont care answer in it so we dont completely hijack tis thread ;) :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on November 03, 2016, 10:15:44 PM
Magnets coming loose is a common problem, especially with cheap Chinese motors.  The fix is JB Weld.  It's cheap, easy to get, and the best thing is heat resistant up to 550 degrees.

On this motor one magnet had broken into 4 or 5 pieces and I had a hard time getting it all back in.  It still had rough edges so I put it into the lathe and bored it out till smooth.

You would be better off not putting the small chunks of magnets back in.
One chunk has one north and south to the magnet.
Little chunks has one north/south each. they will be fighting each other.
Your motor will run slower and have less power.
Magnets are easy to get. Junkyards have many is garden tractor starters.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!