iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a saw

Started by Dave029, September 24, 2019, 07:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave029

I've got over 100 down oaks. All sizes but right now I'm looking for a stihl that will run a 22" & 24" bar. Hit me with suggestions! Needs to be strong reliable only will be working the saw 8-15 hours a week

lxskllr

Dave029

btulloh

If you go with a 60cc saw, get the ms362cm.  Better saw than the 391.  For a bunch of oaks though, the 462cm will run that 24" bar better.  As always, your budget may change your choice.

The price difference between the 391 and 362 is only about $150.  I would say spend the extra 150 if you're going to go with the 60cc saw.
HM126

btulloh

Are those blow-downs?  That's a lot of oaks.  What are you going to do with them?  Saw logs or firewood or both.  Selling a few loads of firewood will pay for your saw.  Getting the right saw will save you time, especially of you're bucking into firewood length.  Touching up the chain with every tank of gas will pay off too.

Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of wood.  Good luck with it.
HM126

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Dave029

They're just down because we cleared out to make new pasture. Cutting and splitting to sell for firewood 

ManjiSann

I can't really suggest any saws but I can tell you that you will get what you pay for. I have 2 Poulan Pros that I feel for what they cost are excellent saws and I am very happy with them BUT I am already in the process of upgrading to higher end equipment as I'm already finding their limits.

I'm not a tree cutting pro at all, I cut down small trees and cut firewood because I enjoy it not, for necessity. My point in saying this is I haven't done anything like what you are looking to do and I already have found the limits of what the little homeowner type saws will do.  

It might hurt in the beginning to spend that extra hundred or two but with what you've described I think I can say confidently by the end if you buy a lower power/quality saw you will regret it.

Buy once, cry once  ;)

I'd vote for 65cc or bigger for 24" bar if you want to run it with some authority. 

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

lxskllr

Sounds like you've got some property. Over the lifetime of the saw, I think your money's best spent going pro. A 362cm will do ok pulling a 25" bar, but if that was the "standard" size you were cutting, the 462cm would be better imo.

edit:
BTW, Happy Birthday Pine!

hedgerow

I haven't been around the new 462 but have been using a 461 for five years with zero problems. I run a 20,24 and a 36 bars on it cutting locust and hedge. We run about 20 cord a year with it. You can still find a new 461.I wouldn't buy a smaller saw for what you are going to be doing. 

Dave029

Little bit of property. We have a 026 and 066 I just need something in between. Thanks for all the help y'all!

btulloh

If you've got an 066 you should be ok on the big end. An ms362 is a very agile and well balanced tweener with decent power. It's become my favorite for grab it and go. I tried a friends 391 before I bought it and the 391 did not impress me. 
HM126

HolmenTree

The 80cc Stihl MS500i available this fall would be a 2 in 1 saw, about the weight of a  MS362 and about the power of a MS661.
 All you would need in one saw. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Hooterspfld

I think the 362CM is the saw you're looking for. I bought mine new with the 25" bar, but have since switched to the 20" bar which is preferable in my opinion. I go back and forth between the 25" and 36" bar on the 661cm when I need the extra bar length. Just bucked up 2 36" oaks recently with these 2 saws, if you don't have one, I'd also look into a cant hook. I picked up a 60" Logrite. (sponsor on the left) 

Thank You Sponsors!