iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biggest diameter yet on the poor little lt 15

Started by Jeremy2200, May 22, 2012, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

I got a call the other day to saw a pretty big log.Every time this guy calls i know its going to be a big log. Well this one was really too big. On the ends it was 29-30". The lt 15 is only supposed to saw 28" diameter.So after loading the log and moving it for close to an hour I finally got to start sawing lumber. He wanted 2" thick slabs for table tops. Didnt take any pics of the final product but he gos some 22" wide 2"thick boards and alot of them. For reference the saw on top of the log has a 25" bar. THANK GOD FOR THE RECENT ADDITION OF HYDRAULIC TURNER.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Part_Timer

Quote from: WDH on May 22, 2012, 09:47:07 PM
So, how did you saw it?

I'm guessing one end to the other and top to bottom ;)  Sorry couldn't resist

My question is how did you get it up on the mill?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

pineywoods

Hey Jeremy, I was a little concerned about twisting the frame on an LT15, but if you turned that monster and nothing broke, all is well. You done good.  Now go cook one up for WDH  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeremy2200

Once i found a spot where the tree would fit down the throat I called it good and took about a 5" thick slab off of the top then I got it turned once and took about 5" off again and starte sawing again. Had to just go with how it would fit throuth the mill. The first cut was very very aggrivating getting it to go.You cant see the setup in the picture of how I load logs but I have a 8000lb warn winch i can slide on the mill and I just parbuckle the log up the ramps. This was all that the winch seemed to want though.

Jeremy2200

Pineywoods. that is what I was thinking. As far as bending the mill alll is good i think. The only thing I keep bending is the bolts that hold the backstops in . If i dont get the log/cant completely off the stops before I raise or lower them it will bend the bolt every time. I learned and i keep about 10 extra bolts with me now. Not a big deal to use the hydraulics to move it away from the backstops if i can just remember every time but im getting better about it. Once again thanks for helping me through it all.

slider

join the club.I set a 52 in. oak on my 70 a while back thinking i could keep trimming down until i could square it,not.the mill would not lift it or turn it. took it back off,split it in half with my chain saw .put it back on and finished it.wishful thinking on my part.I had way more than an hour in that big log.
al glenn

bandmiller2

My homebuilt bandmill will do 30" with a tailwind,I just flat a$$ refuse anything larger some nice wood but it just doesn't pay.Yea I know you've done it but figure what that wood cost you in hours and wear and tear. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I just sawed some hemlock just about the same size on my Thomas. I put it on with the tractor and had to turn it too with it. I usually try to keep the tractor away from the mill,but this time I had to use it. I also usually don't cut big trees for my mill. I sell the big stuff and keep the smaller trees for me to mill.22" wide and 2" thick? How did you move them?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jemclimber

The 15 will take a touch bigger but it has to be centered perfectly.  The dogs have to be put down and a board or wedge used to keep the log in position. My buddy and I milled this one. It was 34" on the big end and had to be Bibby'd down a bit. We got 70 something 2x4 out of it.  We turned it with a couple of cant hooks, but we lift heavy wood quit often.  I enjoy hard work and lifting heavy things. It's good for the body and mind.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=26094&pid=114686#top_display_media
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!