iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What oil type for power feed gear reducer?

Started by hunz, May 16, 2013, 08:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

Does anyone know what type of oil is required for gear reducers. I have looked all over the web and can't find anything definitive. My gear reducer is a standard 56c case. Thanks!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dgdrls

who makes the reducer and for what purpose?

DGD

hunz

Falk does, its mated to a 1750rpm 1/2hp motor. It will be for the power feed on my mill.

pineywoods

Assuming this is a worm type reducer (most likely) One thing is critical to long life. The mating surface between the worm and the bull gear need to immersed in oil. Just splashing some on the gears is not adequate. Hypoid gear oil is best, but rather thick for use in cold temps. Woodmizers have 2 of those reducers and they recommend ATF. Seems to work ok as long as the mating surfaces are immersed in oil. If the worm gear is on top, this means keep the gearbox full.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

http://www.rexnord.com/Contact/Pages/default.aspx

not certain what you have for a model, but you should be able to track down what you need here.

DGD

hunz

Piney,
  Is the worm gear the shaft that runs parallel with the motor input shaft, and the bull the perpendicular hollow shaft that is keyed?

pineywoods

Quote from: hunz on May 17, 2013, 10:10:18 AM
Piney,
  Is the worm gear the shaft that runs parallel with the motor input shaft, and the bull the perpendicular hollow shaft that is keyed?

input shaft goes to the worm gear...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

bull gear setup   

worm drive   

hope this helps.

DGD

millwright

Worm drives generally use a high pressure worm oil, any oil you use should be synthetic if possible, I have rebuilt many gearboxes and most manufactures reccomend synthetic.

Chuck White

I called Wood-Mizer on this issue a couple of years ago and they recommended synthetic gear oil in the LT40 up/down gear box.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

Gear oil has a tacking agent in it so it clings to the gear faces .I've never used synthetic but the older standard petrolium stuff smelled bad .

Thank You Sponsors!