iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cottonwood Bark

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, January 14, 2008, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I have a strange question for folks in the northern states. I have gotten into wood carving and have discovered carving cottonwood bark. The bark comes from North Dakota or Montana because it apparently grows thicker there. I was hoping to find a source for it can anyone point me in the right direction to find some? I posted in the wanted section as well but I wasn't sure if many folks would see that.

Thanks

George

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

slidecreekdan

I live in Eastern Oregon and have a lot of Cotton wood bark availible.  Let me know how much you want.
                          slidecreekdan@yahoo.com

SwampDonkey

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Is there a preference of cottonwood species? There is eastern cottonwood and black cottonwood. Black grows west of the Rockies and grows bigger. I don't have either, sorry. I think the black cottonwood bark is thicker and more grayish-brown color.

Our balsam poplar is similar. I got reading the Dendro book and they describe the bark of older balsam poplar as being black and gray. But, I wonder if they have seen any really old big ones, because our big old ones in cedar stands turn orange-brown on the bark and the bark looks quite thick to. A lot of those sites I've cruised through have been clear cut, so it's hard to go and get a picture. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Daren

I was in the cottonwood bark business for awhile, "spirit carving" is what they called it. Weird, 3 chunks of bark 3"X3"X12" would bring $15 as fast as I could list them on ebay. I could sell $1000 worth of bark off a dead/worthless tree. I tried to carve it myself to see what all the fuss was about, but I don't have any talent in than area. I met some amazingly talented guys though, their work blew me away. I kept several repeat customers for a couple years until I got tired of it.
I can't help you either, good luck. I just wanted to chime in since I saw the title because even what some guys think is garbage other guys really need and can put to good use.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

tsodak

Wow, I have access to boatloads of it. Never thought about it as all.   I have burned a thousand pounds of it in the ast year at least.  Tell me about sizes, green or dry, how much and to where.

Tom

logwalker

I have a carving of a Indian chief I got years ago made from cw bark. Wonderful carving medium.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Robert Long

Hello all who are interested in cottonwood bark.

I too am looking to stock a few pieces of cottonwood bark for the wood carvers who stop in looking for project wood.

I have carved a small piece of cw bark 12" x 2 1/2" from local cottonwood tree I milled last year.  It's not from the South as has been talked about above, it's from Southern Ontario, Canada and I know the carvers like to use Montana CW.  So, what's the difference?

See pic below....

Also, As I said, I stock wood carving blocks for the local carvers ( like, cottonwood,basswood,butternut and even ghinko ) I feel I should stock more of what their needs are so I can be their source for wood so not only am I interested in cottonwood bark but I am also interested in diamond willow sticks for canes.

Hopefully, someone reading this knows what I am looking for

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!