iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chasing the Sawdust Dream

Started by Resonator, June 02, 2019, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocGP

Which little Kubota you runnin'??   I love my little MX 5100, but as with everything, would occasionally like a bit more grunt on the front bucket.

Love this thread, and you are talented at woodworking, as well as milling!!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Resonator

Thanks. I own a MX5800, perfect size for my work, and I wanted something I could tow behind a 3/4 ton pickup. Horsepower and lifting capacity are good (though I know it's limitations) and the 4wd is essential for all the tasks I use it for. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PAmizerman

I've split a couple logs with a chainsaw. It's not much fun. 
This one I couldn't get cut  the whole way through so I improvised😂
Splitting a big ash log!! - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: PAmizerman on December 05, 2020, 09:31:11 PM
This one I couldn't get cut  the whole way through so I improvised😂
Brilliant! I'd have done a lot worse. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Great thread, beautiful work resonator.
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Jeremy,
You do great work with your sawmill operation. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Resonator

Frosty January, trees were covered for many days.

If you run a sawmill, you will need a plan for the the slab wood waste that accumulates. I process mine into firewood to dry and sell. And as long as it gets cold here, firewood will sell.  ;D

I was cutting trees clearing land for my mill yard, and was pleasantly surprised to find a red oak. It must have been planted there by someone long ago, as I've walked all of my land and not seen any oaks. (Or "highly valuably Black Walnut" trees). :D Was able to get some 1" paneling from the trunk, and a few nice slabs from the top.

A new customer brought me a whole trailer load of Poplar logs to saw, all to be cut into 1" paneling.

The trees were cut into logs about a year ago, so I had to cut a cookie off each end to remove the mushrooms. :D

br>

Cut, stacked, and ready for pick up. I tried to get the best boards I could out of the logs I was given, you gotta play the hand your dealt. ;D

View out my front door, back in the woods. Each new sunrise is a new day, to keep chasing the dream.

doc henderson

you are living the dream.  Cheers!  Doc
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

The custom builder I cut lumber for in reply #39 sent some pics of the playhouse - lookout tower he's building inside an old grain silo. Looks to be quite the project!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

randy d

That looks like one heck of a deer stand. Randy

Resonator

Serenity? ;D 
I will ask him if I get the chance, he may be sending more work my way in the future.  

mike_belben

Quote from: randy d on January 23, 2021, 08:52:00 PM
That looks like one heck of a deer stand. Randy

Thats what i was thinkin!  My luck id slip on the top step and corkscrew all 6 turns to the ground. 

I wonder if spiral staircases in australia or china use left hand metric thread. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Not only a lot of work and time to build those stairs, but a lot of smarts too!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

How about that hand rail?  ...🤔 impressive  project. 

Resonator

He does custom work and knows his stuff. I will try to get more details if I see him again. No sawing here for a little while, winter has definitely arrived.

Woke up this mornin', it was 22 below.
Look out my window blue sky, white snow.
Too cold to work, what can I do?
Pick an old guitar, got them 22 below blues.

mike_belben

I throw in the towel at 22 above!
Praise The Lord

Resonator

Out of the deep freeze and back in the sunshine. :laugh:
Had very mild weather this past week, great for making sawdust. 8)

Had a new customer with his own straight truck stop in and ask me to cut some lumber. Brought me 2 loads of logs, mostly Hemlock and Balsam, with a little bit of Spruce mixed in. I agreed to work with him on the overall price of the job, (I bill everything hourly rate), and cut the best logs and cull the worst ones. He requested all full dimension 2x4 and 1x4 lumber for a Maple syrup shack he plans to build.

It worked out good as he supplied all the stickers, and picked up the lumber as soon as it was cut. That way he was also able to pay for each half of the job as the work progressed, and keep things in budget.

He hauled all slabs back with him also, as they will be fuel for his syrup boiler. He even requested to "slab it deep" on some of the logs to make more firewood. ;D
This job came at a very good time as it's tax time, and it's always good to keep uncle Sam happy. ;D
If you do this as a business, keep track of all your blades, fuel, business equipment purchases, and any other deductions, it all ads up.

Resonator

More logs, more business. 8)

My friend the custom fishing rod builder and some of his friends cleared a fence line of trees, and saved a few mixed logs for lumber. A couple were basically firewood, (like the one at far right), and I did what I could with what I had.

The best one was a 12' White Ash log, that I cut into full 2" thick trailer decking.

Also had a crooked, knotty, Black Cherry log that I cut into slabs to be used as a mantle and shelves. After slabbing it, I ripped one edge straight to go against the wall. I told him I have my doubts how they will hold up drying, and he said he is OK with "rustic", and not afraid to use epoxy. ;D

And then the best wood of the bunch. He cut a Box Elder into firewood, and saved a few chunks for making his fishing rods. I had never cut it before, and and to say the least I was impressed with the color. :o
Just another day...chasing the sawdust dream.  

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

Get what you can out of logs.  ;)  Well sometimes so called logs.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KWood255

Nice job Resonator. Great work, and nice equipment!

Jeff

The box elder like that amazes me. I've never sawn it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stanmillnc

Milled this box elder a few weeks ago - amazing color. Was a huge box elder at ~30" DBH. Unfortunately, some rot in the middle.

Thank You Sponsors!