iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Rookie Help

Started by Mikeisme09, May 20, 2019, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeisme09

I'm a rookie and new to the site as well. I have enough saw, tractor, rope, snatch blocks, come-alongs and ambition... just not enough experience with these sorts of rotted or or beat up trees. Can one of you give me some advice as to how to attack this tree? I'm worried that it's gonna do whatever it wants to. I took a lot of trees down but these types intimidate me. The rest of the tree is in good shape. Thanks

Make The Woods Great Again.

BargeMonkey

Unless your trying to keep it off the house or something valuable trying to rig something like that with blocks / line ? could be really dangerous, the tops probably dead ? Something like that you can wedge a little, I would cut and drop it the way it naturally wants to go, everyone has an opinion on cutting methods, I would make a shallow face on the other side which is still probably good wood, bore cut thru till it's got 3-4" of tab on both sides in the back where its beaten, maybe insert a wedge ? cut 1 tab and then the other. You can do alot with a small wedge and knowing when to LEAVE wood attached, if that makes any sense. 

Skeans1

Where is the weight of this tree? Is the lean opposite of the weight? Can you go 90 degrees of the cat face? My first instinct would be to go 45 or 90 of the rot(cat face) and chasing the back cut from the rot side to the good.

Southside

Like Barge said - let it go the way it wants to go.  The problem is you won't know what you have for holding wood until it's too late.  If you try to change the lean and your hinge wood is no good then it's going to go where ever it Dang well pleases.  That photo says to me hinge wood will be very, very, delicate.  Have two very good escape paths and proceed with caution.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Just have a clear exit and cut it at a comfortable height, alot of times with beaten stuff like that you dont have much good wood left and she will go before your ready, I've crushed a few saws before and learned all this the hard way. 

BAN

If possible high stump just below the ribbon. Looks like you will have better holding wood above the rott.

Old Greenhorn

What Barge said, but take the time first to make sure your exit path is well cleared, get the heck out quick and keeping going. Keep looking up too. These trees can be tricky for a person who has not seen what they might do and can't predict what will happen well.
 A class with good hands on instruction will do you some wonders with this stuff. Tell us where you are and that will help the folks here help you. Filling out the profile info will save you answering that question repeatedly. Also, doing a search on this site will get you a ton of stuff and photos on problem trees.
 Welcome to the forum, pull up a stump.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Mikeisme09

Thanks much. Updated profile... Eastern UP is where my forest and camp resides. Will be working it this weekend and follow up with results.

Mikeisme09

Quote from: BAN on May 20, 2019, 11:33:22 PM
If possible high stump just below the ribbon. Looks like you will have better holding wood above the rott.
Got the tree down, followed Ban's advice and used better wood above rot. Down and split.

BAN

Quote from: Mikeisme09 on June 03, 2019, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: BAN on May 20, 2019, 11:33:22 PM
Got the tree down, followed Ban's advice and used better wood above rot. Down and split.

Nice work. I'm glad I still have a couple years of my high school boys splitting firewood.  

Blackcanyon

Good job! Rotten /dead trees are a bit dangerous. The best way is to cut the tree and direct it towards its natural lean. I do not like to or advise wedging unless your quick like a cat. Often while pounding the wedge dead wood will come out of the crown. For future reference I would recommend a shallow front wedge cut and using a sharp saw start the back cut and stay with it looking up often. Being rotten they sometimes let go quick so be ready. If I sound cautious it's because I am. Use your head, develop a plan and proceed with confidence.

Blackcanyon

I will also add you are right to come on here looking for advise. For the most part I would say forum members know how to chop timber. How do I know that? If they didn't they wouldn't be around anymore to comment.

Thank You Sponsors!