iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm back

Started by two saw, February 11, 2009, 01:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two saw

Well, after a long break from the sawmill/lumber business I am back on the forum.
I have sold all my equipment and now am looking to start over but NOT as a business. When I started into this I knew nothing of the business but was quick to find out ALL the details.
I couldn't make a go of it for several reasons, but that is neither here nor there. I am still paying on some of my equipment (mill) and no longer have it. That is the part that hurts the most.
I am looking at a small Belsaw mill on e-bay right now and I am not farmiliar with these mills.
I have contacted the seller once and his reserve is $2,500.00. Is this mill worth the money?
Doesen't seem like it would handle a very big log, But like I said I ain't going to saw commercialy anymore. I have looked on the net but was unable to find much on it at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120376346408

If anyone has any info/experience with this mill please fill me in.
I am going to get back into milling sometime soon but only for me and maybe local people. I found that I really enjoy milling but not everything else that comes with the business side of it. I like having my own lumber to build with and want to build a small timber frame barn sometime soon.

The next tough part is convincing the wife to let me have another mill. ::)
I lost some money on this venture and I guess she still has reservations about it.
Understandable I guess.

I have missed the forum and am glad to be back on. I hope I can get another mill soon.
I hope everyone is doing well and prospering with their business and family.
Thanks

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

york

funny,i was looking at that mill this am-it i think is the smallest of the bellsaw mills-only has two headblocks-the blade is not insert tooth either-the pile of saw dust ,is there not from sawing either,was put there.....

I would keep looking-there are many mills out there.....bert
Albert

Sprucegum

8) Welcome back  8)

That's a nice looking mill. I don't see $2500 worth even with the new wood  :(  maybe if he throws in the little tractor  ::)  ;)

Did you notice it takes 2 tractors to run it?  :D an easy fix with the right power source though.

I think if you are not in a big hurry and want to save a few bucks you should start beating the bushes for an abandoned/ forgotten mill you can rebuild yourself. That can be almost as much fun as milling!

Keep reading and good luck
SG

Jeff

Welcome back,  I think its over priced and you can do much better. There are a lot of mills out there right now.

Ya know, you don't have to have a mill to be part of the forum, you dont even have to WANT one, (which would be kinda weird)  you can hang out jest cause ya like us. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

It's too bad things didn't work out for you with the business.  If an insurance salesman couldn't make a go of it, he wouldn't keep on doing it for enjoyment, that's the great thing about sawmilling :)   Even when it punches you in the nose you want to still be friends! I hope you get cuttin' again soon and start to have some fun.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

stonebroke

Try the sawmill exchange

Stonebroke

okie

Two saw, you can find belsaw mills in varying condition for little money....It just takes a lot of snooping. Visit your local co-op and post some wanted flyers and talk to a lot of old farmers, the small tractor powered mills were quite common on the farm years ago, many are still on the farmsteads but have gone unused for many years. I do not think you'll find a good buy on ebay, but with a little looking there are good buys to be made.

Good Luck
Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

petefrom bearswamp

Hi,
I really don't have much to add about buying a mill, but agree that the sawmill exchange is a good place to start. I bough my first hydraulic mill there.
Hey stonebroke, I grew up in delanson.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

stonebroke

Small world

Stonebroke

bandmiller2

TS,welcome back,what was your old mill??That mill is not worth $2500.00 belsaws can be had for much less.I sound like a parot but your best mill deal is one of the older handset classics like a frick,american chase est.You can mix and match their all very simular.Belsaws don't like big heavy logs,but their quite slick on the smaller stuff.I would not consider anything but an inserted tooth headsaw.Take your time ,their out there,and set up an operation your proud of. frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

two saw

bandmiller2,
  My last mill was a D&L twin saw 36DTH. and I won't get into details about my true feelings on it but I will just say, for what I paid I was dissapointed in several aspects of the mill. I could have gotten a better made (WM) mill for the money I spent. It would cut straight lumber. If you want to know more pm me and I will give you my experience with it.
  I am calling about another mill today and I will find out more about it and let you know.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome back to the fold Mate like jeff and the boys said you dont need a mill to have a chat about things Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hae you tracked down a mill yet  ??? and frank dont worry about sounding like a parrot There's two of us crowing about Old circs being the best value Mate  ;) :D ;D 8) But they are abit thin on the ground here but people are keen on em here Cheap, Simple and Deadly Effective at producing timber  is the way to sum them upp  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Dont worry your not the only Bloke to feel like he's been kicked in the head from this game  ;) Ive had the living daylights Knocked outa me Afew times over the years  I just seem to keep on getting back up  :o :o :) :) ::) ;) :D :D
But like Erick said  ;) Its like you and your best mate having a punch on  ;) you both get over it pretty quick Mate  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!