iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milled a couple of small ones today....

Started by scsmith42, September 13, 2011, 03:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Both oaks that I milled into 4" x 10"s to be used for a retaining wall here on the farm.  The fellow in the photo is a member of our local woodworking club who traded me a couple of days of labor for some large oak beams. 

Log number one.

Log number two.

The "whack" of 4 x 10's that were yielded from log number two (the smaller log).

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

paul case

i didnt know you were even interested in ones that small. ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

wormy

that looks like they have been cut some time back.   bet it did a number on your blades

terrifictimbersllc

Those look pretty straight.  How did you mill those out, as "quartersawn", 4" dimension pointing towards center, or "flatsawn" with 10" edge pointing toward center?   Did you mill oversize and trim or cut them out as 4x10's?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Bet that 10" cut made that motor snort some, shouldn't be much trouble with stress in those logs, for sure with a swing mill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

I see the hose in the first picture!  Use a lot of water today?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

I don't usually fool with the little ones like that  ::).  When I saw the title to the thread and your name, I would have bet that those logs were "little"  cut_tree.

We used to have a log smokehouse like the one behind you and log #2. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

Scott, you really tied one on to saw those "tiny" logs.   Great work. Very nice beams.  Did you wax the ends prior to sawing?    I think I remember you suggesting that in the past and I began doing it.  Saves alot of time (thanks).
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

scsmith42

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 13, 2011, 05:17:43 PM
Those look pretty straight.  How did you mill those out, as "quartersawn", 4" dimension pointing towards center, or "flatsawn" with 10" edge pointing toward center?   Did you mill oversize and trim or cut them out as 4x10's?

99% of what I mill is quartersawn (and grade quartersawn at that), but in this instance I was milling for yield instead of grade.  These are going to be used in making a retention wall, so the milling pattern was not of concern.

If I were milling timberfame beams, then my milling pattern (and yield) would have been totally different. 

I normally mill wide quartersawn 1/4" oversize per inch, to allow for the extra shrinkage experienced in drying.  In this instance, I milled  as 4 x 10's.

One nice thing about the extremely large logs, they usually don't have a whole lot of stress in them so the lumber remains straight.  Just heavier than the dickens to handle though.

scsmith42

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on September 13, 2011, 10:20:53 PM
Scott, you really tied one on to saw those "tiny" logs.   Great work. Very nice beams.  Did you wax the ends prior to sawing?    I think I remember you suggesting that in the past and I began doing it.  Saves alot of time (thanks).

Chris, I always try to apply end sealer directly to the end of the log ASAP after felling (I usually take it with me and apply it to the logs when they are loaded onto my trailer).  The smaller log had it applied, the larger one was about 6 months old when delivered, so I did not bother with it.  Unfortunately, neither one of these logs was going to produce much FAS lumber, hence their use for the beams.

scsmith42

Quote from: wormy on September 13, 2011, 04:00:07 PM
that looks like they have been cut some time back.   bet it did a number on your blades

Actually, it wasn't too bad.  I was able to mill about 80% of the first one before re-sharpening, and about 1/3 of the large one.

scsmith42

Quote from: ladylake on September 13, 2011, 05:24:34 PM

Bet that 10" cut made that motor snort some, shouldn't be much trouble with stress in those logs, for sure with a swing mill.   Steve

It did.... Usually when I'm milling the 10" cut horizontally, I'll make two 5" cuts instead of a single 10".  Vertically I'll mill the entire 10" at once, and it does take a bit longer to pull the blade through the cut!

You are correct about the stress, but I have had a few where the boards were moving as they were being cut. 

scsmith42

Quote from: paul case on September 13, 2011, 03:25:10 PM
i didnt know you were even interested in ones that small. ;D  pc

<grin> Yeah, normally I prefer ones like this:

I can't wait to quartersaw it!

Thank You Sponsors!